Recreating a legend - 1995 Lawwill DH

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
There is a project I've been working on for a little while and it seems like I have critical mass to get it done this summer. So, I thought I'd start a build thread.

This is the bike in question

Catalog%20Scan.jpg

Here are some pics of the Yeti team in action

s1600_94_98OldSchool_07.jpg

s1600_94_98OldSchool_11.jpg

The bike was actually developed by Joe Lawwill and his dad (Mert) outside of Yeti. They initially tried to sell it under the Trophy Products brand using the model name Legend. That relationship didn't work out and only a handful of frames were built. Then Yeti and Mert joined forces and this bike was set to be produced in 1995. It was limited to 4" of travel and so wasn't much of a DH monster. However it was a team favorite for Dual Slalom. From talking with Joe it seems that he (via Trophy) provided the rear weldments and portions of the front triangle. Yeti then added their signature oval top tube and 1 1/4" head tubes. Not sure this is 100% accurate but it's the best I've been able to sort out. From what I understand Yeti made about 5-6 prototypes and race bikes, most of which broke. There are 1-2 left, one is at Yeti and one with Mert.

I was able to find a few of the original Trophy Products frames and a few original Yeti ARC top tubes and cable guides. FTW was able to modify the front triangles add the Yeti touch. They are off to paint in the next few weeks.

I've managed to acquire most of the special bits including the huge Paragon Machine chainring, Hope C2 brakes and a few other somewhat rare parts. I plan on building up one bike exactly as shown in the catalog and the other as a Dual Slalom version (no HEDs, Judy SL instead of DH)

Lawwill%20001.jpg

Re:

Ok I subscribe to that.

This is an expensive project!

Thanks for sharing :D

Re:

Me too. This is going to be good.

how did you manage to find that chainring? :)

Back