1987/8 'Welsh' British Eagle 531 'Force 18'

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
As soon as I saw that this was in the next village from me I had to have it. Rusty and a bit crusty but sound and almost entirely original.

Full Deore MT-60 groupset right down to the pedals

Double butted 531 frame

ITM bar/ stem

Madison leather saddle

Forks are rusty where the paint has come off.

Made by the real British Eagle, Powys

Plans?

Repaint the forks and stem, clean, re-grease, re-cable and change the hubs over to q/r, then its off out for a trundle.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Its different to the usual frames I find from this era. Its a lot lighter than the Dawes Cougar despite being visually similar. I know its a smaller frame but little differences like the road dropouts with the adjusters and tidier cable stops and an overall 'twang' that makes the Cougar feel a bit of a lump in comparison.

file.php

It puts me more in mind of this build from a few years ago. Unknown quality steel with the same roadie bits used to make an MTB frame (there wasnt a lot of choice for frame builders back then)

nitto_bull_bars_203.jpg

Will take a new piccy later

$_57.JPG

Nice purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks after the repaint. Are you repainting it yourself or is it being treated to professional/powdercoat job?

kingoffootball":3p21ie09 said:
Nice purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks after the repaint. Are you repainting it yourself or is it being treated to professional/powdercoat job?

Professional? Me??

Re:

Tres cool, spotted that earlier in the day before you pounced....

It is wrong/socially unacceptable to say that I quite like the pastel pink, and would probably keep it?

Re:

Interesting ride, I was signposted to this thread.

I've just acquired the Bike pictured, another British Eagle, 6 Speed Sachs Huret, Hub brakes front and back. It was fitted with the same mudguards as yours. Same adjusters on the dropouts, mine has lugs for a pump on the down tube and a lot of rust.

I'll be interested to see what you do with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,418
Drum brakes! Very nice. I like drums but don't see many about and stupidly sold the one bike I had with them on...

Back