1997 Saracen 853 Kili Comp, 88 Specialized - Finished pics

osv

Dirt Disciple
After browsing these pages for quite some time I was caught by the nostalgia and sheer appeal of the bikes on the forum. This however was somewhat worrying as I have an addictive personality and like many of you can become somewhat obsessive. This obsession has been played out over the last years with Volkswagens and I certainly didn't want to become over involved or the least bit knowledgable about retro bikes as I knew I'd be in too deep (reference my good friend and enthusiast Benandemu)
So to be up front, I know very little, I'm not going to be anal or correct but couldn't resist a dabble after all they do bring a bit of joy into your life.
So I bought a non specific eBay bike locally which amongst its added detritus has some appeal. It was commissioned as a daily commuter and gradually up specced. I loved the bike and kept liking the idea of a retromod hot rod idea, it's all in my own mind if not the execution. More to follow but here a pic in a state of advanced evolution pre colour change and other bike developments

Re: 1997 Saracen 853 Kili Comp, 88 Specialized Rockhopper

Just to reassure on the topic title here's the subject frame which I'll get onto shortly

A period of use on the commuter showed the bottom bracket was shot, apparently seized and progressing risking destruction of the frame meant the start of a search for a replacement frame as insurance to ensure I still had my retro ride. In the mean time the allure of a complete 88 Specialized Rockhopper proved too strong.

Re:

So with the Saracen frame sourced as insurance and the Specialized drafted into commuting duty it was safe to push ahead with the bike with no name and attempt removal of the bottom bracket. It would either yield or the frame be scrap. With 8ft of additional leverage applied with scaffold tube the bracket eventually yielded, the product of poor previous assembly but the frame survived. Of course it deserved the chance to live again and unsurprisingly I decided to go ahead with the Saracen too.
A change of colour and a refresh of the tired paint beckoned and a pastel period look was preferred. I'm really pleased with how it's come out and it's now built and the Saracen is on its way too.

Nice work man and that colour looks a lot better then i would ever imagined :cool: ..

:) Lovely - understated & classy...Well done!
(I can feel a rebuild of my unloved Tufftrax looming - Cheers for the inspiration)!

Back