1996 Kona Explosif

jacoborf

Kona Fan
Overall conditions seems to be ok including original paint and decals (some minor touch-ups will be only necessary). I will have to collect all necessary parts to build it. This will be my second retro-project and all your feedbacks will be welcome! My intention is to use it for XC including some races also so I think that new transmission will be necessary (in my mind is nowadays kind of 1x10...) Will see!

Thank you for "elie" (sold me that fantastic frame!).

Attachments

• IMG_5583 640.jpg
    IMG_5583 640.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,480
Yes, this is my idea..: retro frame with modern drive train + v-brakes + SID...

I do not want to hurt to the retro users here... but... maybe... I will install a modern 1x10 (sram or shimano...). I was also considering to install the sram XX1 (1x11)... already riden in my Kona Raijin... But I am not really sure if it will works because of the cassette-hub, BB-crankset... :facepalm:

Someone have tried this XX1..? :oops:

Very nice! I have a '94 Explosif that i'm waiting to build up. Nowt wrong with sticking a SID on it either.

80mm will be spot on.

Can I ask a couple of questions as I have another '96 Explosif I'm in the process of acquiring bits for? Does it have normal cable stops on the top tube? The one I have has some kind of weird hydraulic hose guides on the top tube, which just don't look right to me. Also, is the Columbus Max sticker in English or Italian? It might sound like an odd question but the one I've got has had some horrid rattle can paint job done at some point and the original decals are long gone.

On modern SRAM stuff and Max Explosifs...

I have a 1997 Explosif which I've kitted out with 2015ish 2x10 SRAM X0 and the '96 is going to be XX1 if I can find the cash. Most of it seems to go on just fine TBH. I have no idea what bottom bracket the Raijin uses but a standard threaded bottom bracket seems to work just fine on mine with Race Face Next SL cranks. Check to see if you need a 30mm bottom bracket for the SRAM cranks.

The cassette fits in the same space as an 8 speed but bear in mind that SRAM 11 speed stuff needs a special freehub body to make it fit. Shifters, derailleurs I've had no problem with. I've got discs on mine but modern V brakes should go on just fine as long as you've got the cable stops for them.

Back