My 1998 Kona Hei Hei

Cass

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi here's my 1998 Hei Hei, setup for road commuting at the moment, and would be absolutely complete if I could find some Ti P2s.

Spec:

Frame: 98 Kona Hei Hei
Forks: P2 triple butted
Brakes: Pauls Motolite
Wheels: Mavic 217 sunset with XTR M900 hubs
Bars: unbranded titanium
Stem: Tune Gelies
Brake Levers: Paul Love
Shifters: Suntour XC Pro
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Seatpost clamp: Salsa Lip lock
Chainset: Tune Fastfoot & Tune Sixpack
Pedals: XT
Derailleurs: XT M900
Cassette: XTR M950 Ti - 8 speed.
Skewers: XTR M900

Big thanks to various members on here for some of the parts.

Hope you like it:

Attachments

• Hei Hei 1.jpg
    Hei Hei 1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 4,162
  • Hei Hei 2.jpg
    Hei Hei 2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4,162
  • Hei Hei 3.jpg
    Hei Hei 3.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 4,162
I'm no expert in such matters, but I'm running on non supension adjusted P2's at the moment, and not being on the tall side I find the bike fits pretty well for me and Ti P2s would just finish it off nicely.
:D

Very nice clean build. Hope you have somewhere secure to park it at work!

(I'd prefer it with some proper rubber though)

Very very nice indeed!

I actually like the small tyre look on Hei Heis as you can literally see how light they are :)

(jealous)

Cass":3o61ieq3 said:
I'm no expert in such matters, but I'm running on non supension adjusted P2's at the moment, and not being on the tall side I find the bike fits pretty well for me and Ti P2s would just finish it off nicely.
Those P2s are the standard 41cm length used from 94 onwards and they seem to give you a pretty steep head angle, which you obviously like. But I think what Geoff means is that most of the ti P2s were made prior to 94 and would be 38cm, and that really would give you a very steep (and low) front end.

Even speaking as a Kona enthusiast, I have to say that a Pace RC30 or 31 is more worthy of the frame that a steel P2.

Thanks for the info, I agree the forks let the frame down a bit, I'll have to take a look at the pace fork option. At least I can consider the search for some Ti P2s over. Not that it really started. :LOL:

If it is staying as a road bike, keep clear of the Pace option - it really will look silly with those tiny treads in that oversized fork. My Explosif is running chunkier road tyres yet still looks odd!

Latest posts

Back