Brodie eXpresso 1994 the return - first ride pics page 6

bartsince1975

Retro Guru
Warning, it might take a while for me to finish this, I'm slow!

It's time for a midlife make-over:

My (probably late 1994) Brodie eXpresso frame number: 3542, 18". I bought this frame in the summer of 1995 from the Dutch distributer. As far as I know 3 Brodies had been shipped late 1994 to be on display at the early 1995 Fietsrai. I visited the show and saw one of those frames there, an orange eXpresso, I loved it!
Unfortunately at that point I did not have the money to buy one. Later that same year this frame came up for sale lightly used and directly from that same distributer. He had ridden a couple of races with it and sold it to me for a very reasonable price. I think that was the last brodie frame he sold. After buying a new frame in 2002 (Merlin XLM) it has been a single speeder, a bike for my wife, a framekit on the wall of my shed and last function a wintercommuter. After finding a Girvin Vector in the trash last year I knew it was time for a make-over, fresh paint, Girvin fork and a Brodie worthy kit of components, SHOPPINGTIME!

Next update will be specs, not fully decided on every part and I might take some advice from you guys! Hope you enjoy my build.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Brodie eXpresso midlifecrisis

Welcome here and nice bike!
Never seen on in our 'frogcountry' ;-)
Looking forward to it having the parts it deserves.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the link, more options only make it harder :? . I've got a Syncros stem with controltech bar ready for it. But I also like the looks of the Brodie, think I'll just have to fit both on it to see which combo will win. This one might be a good match as I was going for silver components kit, although not period correct as these are from 1996 and later :facepalm: .

Re:

hi and welcome
I'm glad to see any new brodies on here.
don't worry about `correctness' :)
just build it, ride it, enjoy it. :cool:

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing what you do with this one

Thanks for the warm welcome:) Hope you will all enjoy my build!

@retro roy, Oh it will be a rider! It will need a new makeover in another 20 years.

Questionare:

What wheelset for this bike? I have two hubsets, Nos XT 730 36holes and a Hügi compact 32 holes that was original back in the days. And I see 2 opportunities for NOS rims, one set of AT18 Wolber and one set of Mavic 221 both 36 holes so for the XT hubs. And I have a set of (lightly used) 32 holed FIR Polar rims. Would Polar rims look good on a Brodie? It would be a very good wheelset but how would it fit the bike, any thoughts?

Vote for:
a) Hügi - FIR Polar
b) XT - Wolber AT18
c) XT - Mavic 221
d) Hügi - find some rims?

Defo Hugi on FIR Polar rims! The rims are going to be on the heavy side (those deep section rims aren't light) but bomb proof. They look cool, like a polished version of HED rims.

Back