1992 Diamond Back Topanga

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
At a recent carboot sale was a large DB Topanga from the days of buying bikes with good frames but low end parts.

These came with True Temper AVR tubing which was used further up the range but equipped with 300LX with all of its weight penalties.

I've had a shimmy through and its rust free! Its been stored dirty for god knows how long leaving the white paint stained. The decals are still fluorescent at the edges.

The weird thing was, at a stall previous was a 26.6 Kalloy seatpost with a mint Avenir saddle. The exact same post and saddle attached to this Topanga about 10 stalls down...! Anyway, the only let down is miss-matched wheels but for a whole £23 pounds, I dont care.

Its going to go on a diet just to see what I can do as these frames ride really well when compared to an equivalent GT or Claud Butler from the same year.

Heres one I made earlier - 2009 was the last time I found one of these.

diamondback_topanga_001_117.jpg

The diamond backs from that era were great bikes and some of the best looking mtb's around. My first decent mountain bike was a DB ascent, it was pearlescent white with a smoky blue front end and forks. Pretty sure it had a 300 lx groupset too.
I wish i'd never sold it!!!

Weight loss so far:

Bars - these must weigh at least a kilo! Replaced with some nice Tioga Prestige

Stem - kept original stem but replaced steel top cap with aluminium and the heavy wedge has gone to be replaced by one from a Ritchey stem.

Chainrings - I have a 'spare' Suntour XC chainset with some pedals welded to it. The rings are fair but not perfect but they are lighter than the steel 300LX

BB - to my surprise it is a quality sealed Tioga item so that is staying

Drivetrain - I do have some nice Suntour XC Pro hanging around so may cobble something together but the 300LX is working and clean so it may hang on in there.

Short of a pink Jagwire rear brake cable...

Attachments

• 1992 DB Topanga.jpg
    1992 DB Topanga.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 2,028
Re:

Very nice LGF, Now give me that Avenir Gel Saddle to me for my 1992 Axis XT!!!!!!

;)

I'm well jealous as every time i see one of these Topanga's their either silly money or practically scrap :( .

That's a cracker of a bike by the looks of it and i remember DB using that tubing back in 88 so it was nice to know they kept with it for a few years after that as it makes for a really nice responsive frame set and that paint finish looks pretty good tbh so if i could ever get hold of one i'd be well happy ..

Yes i'd already spotted that on the bay but that seller is expecting alot more than i can afford and he doesn't live close enough for me to do a pick up either and whats the killer for me is finding a month i don't have to shell out on birthdays or other occassions due to the 36 family members lol! ..

Back