'94 Dekerf Mountain

beauf

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all

So it has started. I have done the easy bit and taken it to bits!

Frame is in pretty good nick and managed to get all the bits of pretty easily, apart from the bb which was backwards, i.e. thought I was taking the cup off and the cartridge came out. It was a Shimano unit but inverted...odd.

Initial plan is to get the rust protected, clean it all up and put it back together to ride...and decide if I'm going to keep it (which I think I will) Will be interesting to see what the new club I ride with say, as they thought my 1999 Santa Cruz Superlight was out of the arc!

Rust is not too bad, a few little spots - and the majority of the frame is a bit scuffed...but the chain stays are looking chipped up. If I keep I will get it resprayed, but to get it going again any suggestions. I may go for the short term bodge of dark green hammerite, which looks like what the previous owner used!

cheers. p.s. sorry about the state of the garage! :D

Attachments

• Mountain.jpg
    Mountain.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,706
  • chain stays.jpg
    chain stays.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,706
Super cool - love that colour. Some clear nail varnish over those marks will keep it safe but not look too bad, or go for Hammerite again, but it needs protecting if you're going to get it mucky.

IMAGE_D15AA640-B6E8-4062-A677-4C917B0A35F7.JPG

DeKerf Mountain from MTB Pro in 94

Love the colour - assume you mean the purple buffalo top!

I had a helmet like that! Can I ask (as a newbie) do retro bike fans wear retro gear? ;)

Re:

New stickers from pace...looking good, although different from the originals. The letters do not have any cutouts. I also placed them higher up the leg due to the disk mount collar.

Attachments

• WP_20150314_16_15_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150314_16_15_01_Pro.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,555
Re:

It also appears I am going to die! :shock: . This from Profile.

Stiffy™ threadless MTB Stem
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Profile-Design of Carson CA is voluntarily
recalling approximately 8,000 “Stiffy”™ threadless mountain bike handlebar stems. The US CPSC will monitor
this recall for effectiveness. The stem connects the bicycle’s handlebars to the fork. One of the recalled stems is pictured
below. The stems can break during riding causing a loss of control of the bicycle. Profile-Design has received
5 reports of injuries from Stiffy stem failures.
This recall only involves “Stiffy”™ threadless mountain bike handlebar stems sold from March 1997 through April

Attachments

• WP_20150314_12_26_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150314_12_26_31_Pro.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,552
Re:

Its coming together - nasty green hammerite on the stays - but that's better than the rust!

Nice shiny STX RC cranks back in place. I think I need shares in Autosol.

Attachments

• WP_20150321_14_05_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150321_14_05_38_Pro.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,449
Re:

Ok - phase 1 complete.

Thanks to this website I have managed to source the bits and pieces I needed to get the Dekerf ride-able again. Plus found all the info needed to get the various bits working properly. It didn't need much, just a bottom bracket, headset, shifters, jockey wheels and chain.

Have stripped the fork and rebuilt it and put on new decals. Dealt with some rust and damage to chain stays (with hammerite so not the most professional of jobs!) Found new dust seals for the brakes (which need to be bled still)

Wanted to share my rationale for this spec. I realize the bike is a '94 mountain, but the build is from '98. Basically exactly as I built it with bits back then when I bought the frame second hand. The bits came off my old Cannondale that my brother still has (and I want back) So while the parts are not truly from this date, they represent the point disk brakes arrived in '98. These are Hope DB101s (which became C2s) with the various adaptations hope made to fit them to a non disk brake ready frame and Pace fork. It is also set up as I used to ride it with risers and a high stem which I bought in '96 I think.

Hope to get it muddy on Sunday!

Then need to decide if it stays like this or gets sympathetically "hot rodded"

Cheers all...beauf

Attachments

• clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • heavy metal.jpg
    heavy metal.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,366
  • pace.jpg
    pace.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,366
Re:

Colour is great but really struggling to find a good match for a touch up paint. Its the original Emerald Green. Emailed Dekerf and was pleased to get a reply from Chris...but he said they don't do one as its a three stage process.

Any ideas how I can get a reasonable match for chips etc.

Back