Custom painted '93 DiamondBack Ascent ex

artsyfartsy

Dirt Disciple
This is my first thread here, or attempt at a thread. Please be patient with me, as I'm very new to this site and it's posting procedures. I looked around for more information on pic posting etc. and didn't see anything. I'm sure it was right there in front of me, like always and I just missed it. I hope nobody here finds this bike sacrilege, but the factory paint job was just ugly. This was supposedly the special edition paint for this year, just nasty looking.

Attachments

• 93 Diamond Back  ascent ex before.jpg
    93 Diamond Back ascent ex before.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,348
I'm guessing nobody is particularly offended I painted over this horror show, it's not like it was a smoke paint job, or even a tastier splatter job. Look forward to any input or guesses on what I ended up doing to this one.

Hi, I quite like the original paint but then again I always like to keep things original if poss. It's your bike though so do want you want it. I'll keep an eye out for what you finished up with.

Looks good to me, the paintjob works. Nice and understated unlike some mad neon colours from that era ;)

Re:

Just so everyone.s clear, the above picture is a before shot. It's not my bike anymore, I donated it to a local youth organization for their auction. It sold for quite a bit more than I thought it would, so I was pretty excited about that afterwards. I might even do another one for next year.

Re:

Without further ado, here are some of the in process photos.

Attachments

• 1991 Diamond Back Ascent ex 1 Crank Polished.jpg
    1991 Diamond Back Ascent ex 1 Crank Polished.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Ascent ex rim before.jpg
    Ascent ex rim before.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 91 Diamond Back  Ascent ex fresh paint, no script yet.jpg
    91 Diamond Back Ascent ex fresh paint, no script yet.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,235
Re:

I'll probably post the second phase of paint and assembly pictures in the next couple of days. I have to resize them before posting. Still trying to get the hang of this forum.

Well I don't think original paintjob was horrid, but if it was for you then I support your decision to repaint.

Nice polish on cranks, I just don't know how long it will last in such lovely mirorr finish. You could give it turquoise or blue anodising.

Re:

If you cant tell from the picture I painted the frame and forks using a pearl mint green with candy lime green on top of that, then did a linear fade using true blue pearl. The colors are essentially blue and green. The blue sort of can look purple in different lights, so I'm just making sure people know it's actually blue. Once it cured for about 3 days I went ahead and painted all the lettering on and then re cleared the frame and forks. It's actually really stunning in person.

Attachments

• 91 Diamond Back ascent ex graphics and final clear.jpg
    91 Diamond Back ascent ex graphics and final clear.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,172
After about 3 weeks of cure time, I started final assembly. My favorite part, it's always cool when it all comes together and starts taking shape in the end. I saved all the original components so the bike is all Deore LX. I took everything apart and rebuilt it then I polished everything I could possibly polish and cleaned the rest. the only items I replaced were the cables and housing, tires, seat, brake pads, and pedals. Basically the stuff that the sun eats up over time.

Attachments

• 91 Diamond Back ascent ex assembly time.jpg
    91 Diamond Back ascent ex assembly time.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,170
Back