Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1992 alpinestars cro-mega. I raced these as a teenager back in the day and have always had a soft spot for them. I loved the looks of the oversize tubing and the short wheelbase which enabled it to zoom up hill. There were lighter models the al-mega and the ti-mega but these are gold dust today and in truth probably a bit harder to restore due to the nature of the metals used.

I picked the frame up on ebay for £36 early last month (May 200:cool: and since then I have purchased all the parts I will require by flogging my 2007 Rock Lobster off in bits. Many of the parts such as forks etc I've kept for this build. I've decided to make it a cro-mega XT (which never actually existed as there were the LX (500 LX) and DX (Deore DX) versions only, but mine will feature 2008 XT).

The frame itself is still in its early stages as it has just been shot blasted (and finally had that awful wooden paint removed) back to bare metal. I'm having a lot of metal work completed on it as my plan is to bring it up to modern standards with front and rear discs, convert the front mech to e-type (in order to get mega 9 compatability) and get it exactly as I want it. Which will require a great deal of TIG welding and brazing. It will then be 2 pack painted in jet black with custom all chrome decals.

With a little luck I hope to finish it by the end of summer. I'll keep you all informed on this topic of my progress. Should anyone have any tips and advice please get in touch and also if you have any memories or photo's of them back in the day that would also be great.[/img]

Attachments

• 2008_0521ebay0006.JPG
    2008_0521ebay0006.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 26,415
Re: Alpinestars cro-mega 1992

sinnett177":2cehhdrm said:
Should anyone have any tips and advice please get in touch and also if you have any memories or photo's of them back in the day that would also be great.[/img]

Keep it 'real' fella (retro ;) )

Attachments

• Alpinestars Cro Mega LX.JPG
    Alpinestars Cro Mega LX.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 26,404
Nice one Neilll. I had a cro-mega LX back in the day. It was my pride and joy, I totally loved that bike. I sold it onto my step dad in 1998, it was used everyday and not really cared for i'm afraid until it gave up the ghost last year (snapped above the BB). The guilt might have something to do with this project.

I saw it on ebay , and thought that it went for a lot of money , especially with its paint and the crack at the seat tube .

but if you are happy with it it is all good .

Keep it retro .

Your quite right it is a lot of money and work for what is essentally the entry bike of the astars range. But the way I see it is it's a part of my history and I might never get another opportunity to own one. Plus there aren't alot of bikes out there today that don't flick my switch, not like an alpinestars.

I'm going to race it XC when it's finished too. I raced twinshock motocross for many years and when we got mixed in with the modern boys there was no better feeling than beating the 'all the gear no idea' brigade. If anything riding an older bike spurs you onto another level.

If i read that right, you intend to use the fork from your Lobster? If so, i'm guessing this is an 80 or 100mm travel fork? I'd have thought a '92 Alpinestars probably wasn't designed for a 63mm fork, let alone a modern one. If this is the case you may find that using a modern fork will cost its race credentials with somewhat lazy geometry :?

Your right tallpaul that it could have an adverse effect on the geometry. The alpinestars as with virtually every bike pre 93/94 were'nt designed with any form of suspension in mind, suspension was more of a bolt on extra for most manufacturers.

I'm using Rockshox Reba's on the bike which i've just had modified to 80mm of travel. I'll do a trial fitting of the headset and fork when the bulk of the metalwork is completed. Should it appear wrong I'll skim the lower head tube by upto 5mm and use one of those super thin headsets that are available. This should hopefully bring the front end very close to the intended position. With correct sag it should therefore ride bang on the money.

I really like this.

Take a wrecked bike and it give it a new lease of life, with a twist :twisted:

Setting it up to take discs and modern suspension forks is the idea of a madman... and I completely and utterly salute you for this endeavour :D

IIRC the headtube is 1-1/4 which may allow you to do something pretty funky to get the headset inside and hence lower the front end to get those forks on. Worth a damn good try anyway and all part of the fun of this interesting project.

Love it!

with 403mm stays and a 80 or 100 mm forks that is going to be very interesting to ride uphill !! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back