Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1985 Muddy Fox Seeker
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:41 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Here's a pic of my Muddy Fox Seeker, I gather it's from around 1985. Condition overall is pretty good, with the exception of the Wildgrippers everything else is original, pedals, rims, hubs, rings etc.

We don't really mention Muddy Fox much on this forum, I know they didn't use the best componentry but I kind of hope they deserve their place in history. In the UK during the mid eighties all we really had was Muddy Foxes.

Love to get your opinion on these bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:18 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Tyres excepted that looks in great nick. Agreed muddy fox were important in introducing mtbs to the UK and as such deserve more of a mention here.

More pics would be great.

Post subject: muddy fox
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:59 pm 
Retro Guru

love the bike, looks in great condition, my mate had a muddy fox roadrunner,( with paw print disc wheel ) i thought it was the most beautiful bike in the world as i was riding my raleigh cobra at the time :wink:

Post subject: Re: muddy fox
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

burkeredh wrote:
love the bike, looks in great condition, my mate had a muddy fox roadrunner,( with paw print disc wheel ) i thought it was the most beautiful bike in the world as i was riding my raleigh cobra at the time :wink:

paw print disc! I'd forgotten all about those. They absolutely ruled :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:10 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I had the white/yellow courier from that era (no photos though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:25 pm 
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader

Vintage 8) , thats a sweet early one ya got there :wink:

Post subject: Monarch
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 am 
Retro Guru

Does anyone remember when Muddy Fox made a gold-plated Monarch that they sold for about £5000 ? I guess it was the height of the yuppy boom, but I think it was to celebrate selling a certain number of bikes.

I remember having to travel up to Cycle-Logical (near the BT Tower) from Brighton (where I lived) to buy replacement parts for my Ozark as no local shops had any mountain bike bits worth having. I remember the place as being crammed full of Muddy Foxes and pinching as many free stickers as I could.

A friend of mine has the Muddy Fox Aluminium (model up from the yellow explorer) - he ordered an Explorer but it was "damaged" in the factory and they sent him the aluminium instead.

I was all set for an Explorer myself but then Raleigh bought out the Ozark and Avanti, and I took the choice of a better (531) frame and cheesier parts on the basis that I could upgrade the parts over time.

Smashing !

Terry...

Post subject: Re: Monarch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:38 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

terryhfs wrote:
Does anyone remember when Muddy Fox made a gold-plated Monarch that they sold for about £5000 ? I guess it was the height of the yuppy boom, but I think it was to celebrate selling a certain number of bikes.

I remember having to travel up to Cycle-Logical (near the BT Tower) from Brighton (where I lived) to buy replacement parts for my Ozark as no local shops had any mountain bike bits worth having. I remember the place as being crammed full of Muddy Foxes and pinching as many free stickers as I could.

A friend of mine has the Muddy Fox Aluminium (model up from the yellow explorer) - he ordered an Explorer but it was "damaged" in the factory and they sent him the aluminium instead.

I was all set for an Explorer myself but then Raleigh bought out the Ozark and Avanti, and I took the choice of a better (531) frame and cheesier parts on the basis that I could upgrade the parts over time.

Smashing !

Terry...

i remeber that, did it go to a competition winner in the end?

ps: i had an explorer,have the MB mag test on it still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!

This is a blast from the past.

I had a Seeker which I bought in 1985 for £353 brand new. That was alot of money to spend on a bike, especially when most of my mates thought that mountain bikes were going to be a fad. They ALL loved it though. Mine was exactly like this (black tyres of course), and from what I can remember this certainly looks original. I will have to dig out some pics now and post them, although I'm sure there maybe dodgy hair cuts and tight jeans!!!

I had the paw print yellow disk as well. Back then I felt like the dogs danglies!!!!

Thanks for that trip back in time.

Lewis