1950 Raleigh Superbe project

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, here is my 1950 Raleigh Superbe I was given from a friend. I'm in two minds of what to do with it, I'm thinking about doing a rolling restoration on it? What's your opinions folks? If anyone else owns one please let me know what you reckon. She is very rusty but i'm going to try the old coke and tinfoil trick.

pic up soon, trying to get photobucket to work!

Bah, that was hard work, its not copying/pasting share links??

Hi Trxrincon,

I've got once of these that I'm in the process of doing up, mines the Black with red and gold pin striping.
I guess it depends what your wanting to do with it, I'm hoping to get the locking fork fixed, the frame itself on mine is in good
condition, and i've been lucky and have found a set of NOS genuine Raleigh matching Mudguards.

Finding the parts to restore it faithfully is taking an age, and not cheap, and many of the parts available are modern reproductions
where i'm not totally convinced of the quality. Also, in fairness the bike I'm working on was in better condition to start with, with
very little rust to the frame. (no disrespect meant)

I'd be tempted to strip that down, respray it whatever colour takes your fancy, and go with a Pashley Speed 5, striped down racer kind of look.

so really depends on what your aiming to do, but it'd make a great bike either way, but a lot of work.

Good luck!

Hey Steve, yes indeed your bike sounds better! I'm not sure, I fancy just leaving it as a rat/rust bike. Re grease the bearings new tubes and tyres and done!! Or throw it in the skip...!

I was actually surprised then the seat post and pedals came out no problem. I've given it a bit wash and oily rag and it's came up a wee bit better. Cheers Rob

Back