1990-95 Orange Clockwork / Modern winter bike Project

tccbikes

Retro Newbie
Purists - Look away.

Picked up the complete bike off the bay for cheap (£40!) as it has been neglected and left standing in the garden (?!) for years. So as soon as I got it I knew I'd have to replace most of everything if I wanted to ride the old beast.

I've been meaning to finish this project off for a while and plans for it have changed a lot.

But what's happening to it at the moment is that I'm throwing all my spare bits and pieces onto it (all modern components) along with one or two things in order to get the complete thing together.

I'm also being a bit naughty and using a frame adaptor for the rear disc brake. This is temporary as if I enjoy the ride as much as I believe I will I'll be getting the bike re-sprayed and will a disc tab & brace welded on.

But as it stands here it is:

tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o1_1280.jpg

----------
tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o2_1280.jpg

---------
tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o3_1280.jpg

---------
tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o4_1280.jpg

---------
tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o5_1280.jpg

---------
tumblr_njrl41LJZV1unjeu5o6_1280.jpg

It's just been mocked up as it stands, and no I won't be using those tyres.
I will however be using the wheelset;
- DTSwiss rims and spokes on SRAM X9 (rear), and Specialized Stout (front)

What's in the post or tucked away is a completely new groupset I snagged for £110.
Including :

CRANKSET - Shimano FC-M522, 42-32-24, Hollow Tech II, 3X10 Speed
BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano Hollow Tech II BB70
CASSETTE - Shimano CS-HG63-10, 11-36, 10 Speed
SHIFTERS - Shimano Deore SL-M591, 10 Speed
DERAILLEUR REAR - Shimano SLX RD-M663, 10 Speed
DERAILLEUR FRONT - Shimano Deore FD-M590, 10 Speed
BRAKES - AVID ELIXIR 3 LEVERS AND CALIPERS

Am I fool for assuming all of this will fit?
The wheel seems to fit fine on the bike at the moment, but I could be proven wrong I suppose.

What else she'll be sporting is:
eXotic 1" steerer disc only, ALU fork
Cane Creek 1" Forty Series non-threaded headset
Thompson steerer shim to allow use of a 1 1/8" Stem
Easton Vice Stem
Easton EA70 riser bars (30mm I think)
Charge Saddle
Easton EA70 seatpost
New TI seat tube bolt (Once my LBS has managed to budge the one stuck in there)
ODI Lock ons
Hope Bar Ends
Sanderson Pro-Mag pedals

I think that's it...

Anyway, this started out as me just trying to get it back on the road so I have something to huck around to work and back, but has evolved into a bit of a money-pit. Luckily I had most of this hanging around from other failed projects and ambitions.

It's a real Frankenstein build which I hope won't offend too many out there, but I just need to get it to a level where I'll actually ride it and it's not sat gathering rust in my own or someone else's garage.

I'll have it built by a weeks time so will update this post once it's built and all together.

But yeah, let me know your thoughts/advice/similar experiences!

{Uploading pictures now so they will follow}

well as a newer retrobiker i'm no purist so crack on IMHO.

It's meant to be ridden and if it gives you pleasure doin so who are we to put it down

good luck with rebuild i for one will be subin for the build.

We don't see Orange bikes on this side of the pond so it is cool to see bikes from different countries. I have a 1990 Merlin that I did a retro-mod style and it rides amazing. I also went with the exotic carbon forks and it is a great combo with Ti. I also used a shim to be able to use the 1 1/8 Titec stem. Mine is set up as a 2x9. Look forward to seeing your build.

Attachments

• naked metal 037.JPG
    naked metal 037.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 810
Re:

Sorry for the slow updates everyone!

I dropped the clockwork off at my lbs yesterday. They will be removing the whole current cockpit, headset, BB & crankset, and the stuck seatpost bolt. Also will be fitting headset, BB, crankset and all gearing.

I'll still need to fit the brakes but apart from fiddling with and modifying the rear adaptor that should be a cakewalk.
I'll also need to sort out the cockpit;- applying grips, bar ends etc. and just generally tidying it up.

Should have it back from LBS today but I work nights so will have photos tomorrow.
Cheers for the interest folks, hopefully she rides well.

addicted":21nudds3 said:
We don't see Orange bikes on this side of the pond so it is cool to see bikes from different countries. I have a 1990 Merlin that I did a retro-mod style and it rides amazing. I also went with the exotic carbon forks and it is a great combo with Ti. I also used a shim to be able to use the 1 1/8 Titec stem. Mine is set up as a 2x9. Look forward to seeing your build.

Really beautiful build mate. Love the Ti.

Re:

Look forward to seeing the resulting bike. Plenty forum users on here, including myself, love concorse nut-and-bolt catologue correct restorations AND modernising classics. Can't go wrong with a clockwork either way :)

Back