Upgrading 1997 Kona Explosif

ssaabbuu

Retro Newbie
Hi all!

I have been invastigating on the internet and I casually found this amazing website with loads of info on retro bikes. I hope I had known of it existence before.

Anyway, my query is that I don't know what to do with my old Kona Explosif (1997). This is the bike that I've been riding for my whole live, I've never ridden other but a Kilauea from the same year. They are my two little babies but specially the Explosif.

I am currently riding an average of 40km per week of cross country with the specs on the pictures. Many of my colleagues ride new machines with disc brakes, full suspension, etc. Due to their comments it made me wonder whether should I updgrade the Explosif and put a new fork and disc brakes to it (at least on the front, we will seee at the rear at a later stage).

Do you think would this make any sense? If, so, should I put a 100mm fork since it is quite difficult to find a 80mm one and 1 1/8"? I am not sure if this would be a good improvement or just messing the whole bike. I am really confused.

I also have a Titanium Hei Hei frame (1999 I think) that has never been built up. Should I build this Hei Hei and do it with disc brakes and a good modern fork?

I appreciate all your feedback!

Cheers,
Marc

Pics:
http://postimg.org/image/5ngx0zyd7/
http://postimg.org/image/uuweezquz/

Re:

Welcome!

Don't worry you got it right first time! The obvious upgrade to make is the fork, I would still stick with a decent 80/90mm fork, you will retain the fast handling - there is a White Brothers one for sale here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... e+brothers

It could be a clash of different 'golds' though, difficult to tell from the screen alone. The other options are 80mm Bombers or Pace RC36 but a Fox F80 has lockout, an upgrade you would notice & benefit from. I wouldn't be tempted to put a disc on the front, you will end up with a visual dog's dinner. For me braking performance is not the big issue - good Vs work very well - it is more (as I've found this mudfest winter) the mud clogging up the brakes to the point where it is difficult to pedal! Something which is worse on the rear ie: you will have to live with this regardless so why not embrace the benefits - cost/weight/balanced looks of the V's.

The fun starts piecing together parts for your Hei Hei! There was a great example here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... it=hei+hei

Any upgrades be sure to post a photo!

Cheers
Matt

Re:

97 Explosif's rule!

viewtopic.php?p=1588264#1588264

ch73.jpg

My two pence, do not play around with disc's. There's nothing wrong with a good pair of V's, which you have. For forks you can't go wrong with Z2's or my fav, the RC36.

Although I ride the Manomano more, the Explosif is my favourite. Stiff, light, agile - she's a monster to ride and I can't wait to compare it to the Kilauea I'm building up.

Yours looks in good shape frame-wise :)

Re:

I run a 97 Lava Dome as my retro and it works superbly with a 100mm Fox R32, modded the frame with disc tabs on the back so run 2X9 Sram gear set and Elixier RSL discs , very nearly as capable as my Soul and rides sweet , if the paintwork is due for a recondition I'd recommend fitting a disc tab on the back as it gives you flexibility (LD and Ex geometry are identical and Kona specced 80>100 mm forks as an option ).
Just my opinion but discs are so much less hassle and work

Re:

I have a very nice Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Fly Light that'd work great on you Kona

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=315118

Bought it as local to me, in fantastic order and couldn't resist but too modern for my builds really.

Those Bombers are the ones! 100%

They would be sweet as long as steerer is long enough at 180mm. I'd love to keep them but a waste sat around.

Nowt wrong with 100mm forks on a '97 Kona. Ive got a '95 Kilauea with a disc tab, 100mm Sid and a 90mm stem. Makes it handle really sweet.

Omg! I wasn't expecting so many answers with such a short period of time.
Thanks everybody for your feedback!

Regarding upgrading the fork with your Bomber or any other, the thing is that in case I finally upgrade it, I'd like to put disc brakes as well. I am not planning to change the fork to another one that only accepts canti brakes as this Judy is currently working quiete good.

I think I'll stick at it as it is and I might start planning on how to build the Hei Hei up.

Cheers!

Back