FW Evans (Saracen) Conquest - 1985

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Sunday morning browsing of eBay yeilded this old gem for £26. Flat tyres, seized gear cables but importantly no stuck seat post.

During week days I don't have a lot of time so not a lot done to date:

• removed rack and lights
• WD40 everything, worked well, cables now move!
• fixed puncture, replaced cracked tyres with faded but usable Specialized Ground Controls
• took axles out, replaced with QRs, squirted grease into bearings (full strip and clean another day)

Took it out for a 5 minute ride tonight, first impression is it is very short and very tall! The steering is quick, even with pudgy tyres. The Brooks saddle is dire, also the seat-post / seat tube fitment is poor, 26.8 mm is too baggy but 27.0 too tight. I will skim a bit off the 27.0 and fit a a Selle Italia Turbo Gel I have in the garage.

Next step is strip the bottom bracket and give it a bloody good clean. I have cables on order as the existing ones are dangerously frayed. Photos from eBay advert and tonight in the garden.

SP

Attachments

• IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,051
Re:

Pics from my phone in twilight hence poor quality.

Attachments

• Evans_6Feb_2.jpg
    Evans_6Feb_2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Evans_6Feb_1.jpg
    Evans_6Feb_1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,050
Re:

That's real nice does the frame have 84 stamped on it,forks will be stamped too on the steerer,these were built by a company called bluemels,I have a ridgeback 531 does anyone know what builders were used? I would say you need a 27mm post for this,just clean out the tube thoroughly

Re: FW Evans (Saracen) Conquest - 1984

Your target for tonight is:

file.php

file.php

from 5 years ago (5????????!!!!!)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86272&hilit=mystery

Re:

Hmm, I don't think it'll ever look like your bike LGF!

Friday night I used aluminium oxide paper to slim down the 27.0 seatpost a fraction so it fits and topped it off with the Selle Italia Turbo. Next job was sort the BB out. First off the drive-side crank arm was mashed :( and once the BB was out, it was clear it had been run loose for so long the BB axle was eccentric :facepalm: . The BB is an old one, with a 70 x 124.5mm size which is now obsolete and the BB shell is 68mm and had been packed out with spacers to 70mm. The 68mm bb axle should be 121.5mm, which was close enough to the modern sealed unit at 68 x 122.5 mm I had in the spares box. I took the rings off and cleaned off soapy water then a fine brass brush to bring them up nicely. I don't like using modern bits but the Brooks really was appalling to ride and the BB made the drive-train feel awful.

The bike was now ready to ride and I managed to sneak a whole 20 minute ride :roll: into my Saturday. I have to say it rides beautifully! I was expecting very little of it but it is very stable and steers well, a lot of fun. I don't think I'll do much more to it except grease the headset and change the cables. I think the faded Ground Controls suit the overall patina. I hope to have a go at racing it in the spring though will fit some pipe lagging on the top-tube for safety - I see now why sloping top tubes were so popular....

SP

Attachments

• 531.JPG
    531.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 979
  • Saracen.jpg
    Saracen.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 976
  • oxygenm6.jpg
    oxygenm6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 979
  • Evans_CC.jpg
    Evans_CC.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 979
Re:

Where it should be - in the woods getting dirty. :D

Attachments

• Evans_WND.jpg
    Evans_WND.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 977
  • Evans_WD.jpg
    Evans_WD.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 977
Re:

Nice! :cool:

Did a good job getting that looking respectable again!

myk

Re:

I went out for over 6 hours today, on and off-road, bridleways, BOATs and back lanes. Not a single aching joint though that Turbo saddle isn't suitable for my arse! The bike was excellent, I wacked the tyres up to 45psi though they still are draggy. The rear mech is too worn though and needs to be replaced - Deerhead anyone? I replaced all the cables so the brakes and shifting is excellent :D

Latest posts

Back