Marin Muirwoods - possibly '86 or '87

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
I saw this 'Vintage Marin' for sale last week. After much persuasion (the seller didn't want to ship it) it was mine. From the style of the decals I reckon it's pre-1988 but would be happy to hear the opinions of those who know.

I picked it up today and it's currently drying after a thorough wash. Tyres aside it looks to be completely original - the saddle is Marin and even that pannier rack is stamped with a Marin logo. I really don't like the look of that stem (even though it is the original) and am thinking of fitting a Bullmoose bar. (I initially thought the stem was a later addition but there's an identical bike for sale on U.S. Craigslist and it has the same style fitted.)

If anyone's interested I'll post more photos and frame number when it's properly cleaned up.

Attachments

• Marin Muirwoods 01.JPG
    Marin Muirwoods 01.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 655
Definitely pre-1988. 1988 was the first year of the roller stem and also 1988 dt decals were that funny design that looked a bit like it was moving...1988 would have had a U-brake under the chainstays too.

This looks very similar to a 1987 Palisades that is on here somewhere; geometry, the stem and bars with the top of the stem matching the bars' colour, components etc.

Re:

I know the Madrone was Marin's first bike, released in '86, but have no idea if there were any other bikes in the '86 range - or when the Muirwoods was introduced. Hence my guess at 1987.

I didn't know the roller stem was introduced in '88. Good to know.

Re:

I gave the Muirwoods a proper scrub and an inspection this afternoon. It has plenty of scratches on the top tube, the paintwork is fading in places, and there's loads of play in the headset and both hubs. But the overall condition isn't bad for a 25+ year old bike that began life in San Francisco, lived in Germany for a few years, and then found its way to Aus.

The mechs are unfamiliar to me (rear is RD-Z501, front is FD-AX55) but they work fine. The Lee Chi brakes need plenty of attention and the mismatched commuter tyres will be replaced with a pair of Panaracer IBEX. And I reckon a bullmoose bar is the way to go when replacing that stem.

Attachments

• Muirwoods 012.JPG
    Muirwoods 012.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 557
  • Muirwoods 011.jpg
    Muirwoods 011.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 553
  • Muirwoods 09.JPG
    Muirwoods 09.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 553
  • Muirwoods 07.JPG
    Muirwoods 07.JPG