Shipping UK to Canada? - customs etc

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone have experience of this? It's a pair of retro Tyres (not foldable) that I have in mind...

Re:

UK to Canada or the other way around?

there is no duty on bicycle parts, buyer will pay taxes on declared value if over a certain amount (probably $50ish).... if you can ship through the mail that is best as Canada post will not charge brokerage fees (or that shouldn't).... I did recently receive parts from CRC where I was charged duty in error. I had to send in a request to get my money back (about $60 in duties) but I didn't bother trying to get the $10 brokerage fee from Canada post as that would have been more trouble than it is worth.

Re:

cyclotoine":3n8b3ooa said:
there is no duty on bicycle parts, buyer will pay taxes on declared value if over a certain amount (probably $50ish).... if you can ship through the mail that is best as Canada post will not charge brokerage fees (or that shouldn't).... I did recently receive parts from CRC where I was charged duty in error. I had to send in a request to get my money back (about $60 in duties) but I didn't bother trying to get the $10 brokerage fee from Canada post as that would have been more trouble than it is worth.

where'd you get that there's no duty on bicycle parts??? :? from what i know, there's no duties on items under say $60-80 and only if declared as gift. if the parcel is sent and is marked as merchandise, then it's hit or miss if Canada Post will charge you any import duties.

on the whole, i've gotten through without being hit by duty on the majority of my purchases. but the past two items i got off ebay and were marked as gift and under $100 US and $75 US both got dinged with duty charges. :(

Re:

I used to get with loads coming this way up until a year or so ago. Now almost everything seems to get hit :(

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":3fonzjna said:
cyclotoine":3fonzjna said:

where'd you get that there's no duty on bicycle parts??? :? from what i know, there's no duties on items under say $60-80 and only if declared as gift. if the parcel is sent and is marked as merchandise, then it's hit or miss if Canada Post will charge you any import duties.

on the whole, i've gotten through without being hit by duty on the majority of my purchases. but the past two items i got off ebay and were marked as gift and under $100 US and $75 US both got dinged with duty charges. :(

I called canada customs because I never get duty charges and also because they are not commerical goods. And the person I talked to was like "yeah that is a mistake, it was thought to be a complete bike. just send the refund request in"... yet to hear back but seemed pretty clean cut to me... and yeah sending used stuff as gift... I never get charged taxes or duties.

Re:

Thanks folks!

Edit:'
raidan73":1wjme9yl said:
Think we're in the wrong section here :oops:

I wondered what you were on about - it was in chat, surely it didn't need to go in 'general and off-topic'?!?
But then I was ambling through readers mtbs and there it was :facepalm:

Back