Help ID-ing full sus frame.

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
Hello - looking for some help in identifying a frame. A bit of background.

I'm staying with my Mam, as she's got a multitude of illnesses, as well as early onset dementia. My wife and little lad help out. As such, my house at the other end of town has been empty for some time. A chap who has helped me out with some decorating was short of a place to stay with his family, so I've agreed to let him stay there until the end of February, and he'll do some decorating for me while he's there, tidy the place up a bit. It needs it, to be honest.

Anyway, I'm not into Mountain Bikes as such - I'm a fan of racers, particularly the old ones, as they're easy to work on. Less to go wrong. A lot of the lads at work are big into their MTBs, though.

James, staying at my house, offered me a Kona that he'd been using for £200. I haven't really got the space, and I don't really have a need for a MTB, so I showed a picture of it to the lads at work, and one of them is big into his Kona frames. He liked what he saw, told me to pick it up, and I'd get £50 for my troubles. I wasn't going to say no to that.

However, when Mark got a look at the bike when I'd picked it up, he's not convinced it's a Kona, and has backed out of the deal, leaving me with a £200 bike that I don't really need, and can't really afford.

There's no evidence of a frame number on the bottom bracket, which it where we expected to find one. There's nothing on the rear of the seat tube either. There's no evidence of filing, so I don't think a number has been removed.

I thought from the original picture I saw of the bike, that it was a Kona Dawg of one variety or another, for which £200 would have been a fair price. The suspension setup appeared to allude to this. However, on closer inspection, the frame on a Kona Dawg tends to have a 'brace' welded in-between the seat tube and the top tube - and there's nothing on this frame. I'm stumped, because my knowledge in this area is zero. There is however, what appears to me to be an unusual construction on the rear chain stays, in that they are not in parallel. Does anyone have any idea as to what this frame is?

Any ideas most welcome! I fear I've been sold a lemon, and that I'll have to split it up in order to not lose too much money on it.
JP

tbh for £200 quid thats a bargain u would easy get ur cash back for that and i bet theres a few of us who would pay for it (im so tempted tbh )

Re:

Thanks for all the help chaps - I'll try and get it cleaned up and working, and I'll put it up on the forum, see if there's any interest.

Cheers again

JP

Latest posts

Back