Raleigh Moonshine 531 - 'The Pink Thing'

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have been looking for a 531 Raleigh Lightweight frame since the beginning of my interest in old MTBs a few years ago now. The reason for this is mostly irrational sentimentality, I rode Raleighs in my youth, and they bring back memories of many happy days out with friends getting our first taste of freedom. Sometimes we would take off for the day around Essex, often doing a road trip of 40 miles or so, other times we would just head off across the fields to see where we could end up. I never owned any high end models, but used to love the Lightweights. Looking at them now I can see that I was very blinkered in my enthusiasm, I never stopped to look at other brands. Part of the pleasure of using RetroBike for me is now having the opportunity to do this.

Anyway, enough reminiscing...I found this frame on my usual trawl through eBay, listed as a 'Raliegh' :facepalm: my lucky day had arrived! The seller didn't want to post so after an exchange of messages he agreed to allow a courier to pick it up if I arranged it. I had to send payment in cash as part of the deal and included some extra money, with a note asking if he wouldn't mind putting some bubble wrap around it, and blocks of wood between the forks and rear stays.

The frame arrived on Thursday at work, I cycled 6 miles home with the frame around my neck, using a large wad of bubble wrap for comfort!

I am very pleased. As you can see overall condition is rather good. The planning begins...

When I got home my wife noticed a new bike frame in the hall, she said 'Why have you bought a girl's bike? :) So far I have just cleaned the frame, decals were completely shot, the remains peeled off nicely. I have a bit of touching in to do to finish off the frame...

"Why have you bought a girl's bike?".....haha, fantastic!

Love it - can't wait to see this one progress. Looks to be in great condition. DX brakes included too? :)

Yep, brakes included! Bottom bracket and Tioga headset are nice and smooth as well with no signs of wear. Still had the reflectors on! I think the paint chips on the frame are likely to be from storage...

It's about time this frame got some use :)

Sweet baby Jesus! That's loud.

Signing in as I've just picked up a battered Blueridge

I have been following your Blueridge thread, fortunately I will not have to suffer the same colour based indecision, I am going to brave it and leave the paint original. I went to Poundland today and managed to purchase not one but two nail varnishes for a pound, one in pink and one in purple. Even came with a separate top coat! I checked my wife's nail varnish selection first and was both disappointed and relieved to find neither of the required colours :)

Thanks Nick, I spent some time looking at your one when doing the pre-purchase research, it looks great.Do you know how the bottom bracket cable guide is fixed? Mine is missing....

Latest posts

Back