which bike would you have bought in 1996?

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've have a very good friend in the states and he is sending me a barely used M950 xtr groupo... this is great a free groupset BUT its also terrible as it means now I have another build to do... I already have a few retro bikes so thought I'd ask for some ideas on top notch bikes out that year that would suit a m950 build? C'mon fella's, give me some ideas.

In '96 i was (and still am) in love with Konas. So it would have been a Kona Hot. Now though as i still very much like the shape of Konas with the sloping top tube i would have to say a Brodie Sovereign. Although id still like a Hot.

Brodie is a good one. In my head I was thinking Mantis Pro Floater. But wanted other ideas. Maybe a steel ibis. Just kicking ideas around. No more Ti. I have three, enough already! :)

Re:

Yeti

Couldn't afford it at the time ...so living the dream now with my ARC (admittedly with a 93 model)

I actually test rode a few bikes in America in '97and bought a Full Suspension Giant ATX 990 , it had the best feel then and is still reasonable today

Attachments

• giant atx 990.jpg
    giant atx 990.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 944
Re:

I reckon if I'd have had the funds back then it would be a nice titanium hardtail like a Hei Hei.

Re:

Had I had the sense to, I would have bought a Chas Roberts, Dave Yates or Dave Lloyd.

GT LTS (Thermoplastic) was nice, I'd say. Or a Mtcycle SanAn. Klein Mantra - I own two of those. Hmm...

As I had already had a Zaskar for a couple of years by then, it would have to be the LTS or similar. Or as above, Mountain Cycles San Andreas

file.php

Back