1989 Marin Pine Mountain......slow burner

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Been sorting out the bike shed over the last couple of weeks and I've decided to turn my attention to the 1989 Marin Pine Mountain that has been languishing in the shed for a year or so.

In doing a bit of internet research to see what other '89 PMs are out there I came across the original for sale thread images from retrobike.

I bought the frame/fork/stem off ChrisG back in 2013.....the stem was well and truly stuck in the forks but after a bit of heat persuasion I managed to get them apart......and then put them in the shed.

Anyway - I've dug it out and have started raiding the parts bin/retrobike's for sale pages collecting some bits with a view to building it up to go alongside the other Pine Ms in the collection.

I was initially planning on a complete paint strip and respray but after a bit of time with the g36 paint restorer it seems that the paint work isn't actually that bad.....

Images below are from the original for sale ad (hope that's OK Chris?) :)

So far I've separated the fork/stem, removed the headset, paintstripped both stem and forks ready for respray and have started renovating the paintwork on the frame with the intention of touching in the chips and possibly replacing the decals.

More photos to follow as I progress.....(not forgetting I'm halfway through a Tequesta rebuild ;))

Re:

Great to see another Marin rescue Mart!

looking forward to your excellent work and photos as ever.

looks like we are drifting back to the off road machines again, I have another one on the way myself! I will tell all soon :D

Stripped down to a bare frame and given a bit of paintwork tlc - polished up the paintwork using some G36 to find out the extent of the chips and scuffs. Originally I thought this was going to be a bare metal respray/new decals job but after cleaning it up I reckon I can get away with touching in the chips and a new set of decals.....it's not actually that bad.

Thought I may as well weigh it for reference too....

Re:

I reckon I can get away with touching in the chips and a new set of decals.....it's not actually that bad.

I had a similar pale grey Pine Mountain that I bought new in 1990. Mine got very scruffy, very quickly, I don't know what Marin were using for paint back then, but it was very delicate. If you re-paint it, or possibly powder coat it, you'd struggle to get a finish less durable than the original.

Re: Re:

xerxes":33ynaps6 said:
I reckon I can get away with touching in the chips and a new set of decals.....it's not actually that bad.

I had a similar pale grey Pine Mountain that I bought new in 1990. Mine got very scruffy, very quickly, I don't know what Marin were using for paint back then, but it was very delicate. If you re-paint it, or possibly powder coat it, you'd struggle to get a finish less durable than the original.

Interesting to hear that - I thought the opposite as I was attacking it with the cutting paste, the paint seemed to be quite durable. Although to be fair I've got nothing of the same era to compare it against.

The seat stays have suffered the most with chips....but the main tubes are really good (aside from a small dent on the top tube). Think I'm going to break out the Airfix paints to touch in the paint damage on this one......can always decide to strip it and repaint later if it doesn't work out.

Not much progress on this project....other than I've been collecting some bits for the build. Nearly there with all the bits I need.....just need some xt wheel skewers and some good chainrings. Most of the bits have been collected at bargain prices over the last few weeks....been scouring eBay and the fs section on here and managed to accumulate most bits at decent prices. Thanks to folks on here who I've recently bought bits from!

Wheels: XT hubs, XT 7sp cassette, Araya RM17 Grey Anodised.
Shifters: XT m732 thumbshifters
Levers: XT m730 4-finger levers
Brakes: XT m732 cantis & XT pads
Seatpost binder: XT m730
Cranks: XT m730 175mm
Pedals: XT m735
Front mech: XT m735
Rear mech: XT m735 short cage

Aside from the wheels all the bits need a good refurb before they get fitted so I've got a fair bit of work needed to get it all exactly how I want it. Forks/Stem/bars still need painting too before I can start building anything.....

Re: Pine Mountain

Hello,
I'm pretty sure that's a later PM. 1990, perhaps. I rode and raced a '89. It was a bright yellow frame w/ neon pink fork and stem. Plus had a chain stay U-brake. Not that it really matters. I just mention it in case your looking to spec with parts of the correct year. Good luck with the build. Great bike. Long wheel base made it a dream on fast down hills.

Re: Pine Mountain

BerttheWelder":1x2bxu7a said:
Hello,
I'm pretty sure that's a later PM. 1990, perhaps. I rode and raced a '89. It was a bright yellow frame w/ neon pink fork and stem. Plus had a chain stay U-brake. Not that it really matters. I just mention it in case your looking to spec with parts of the correct year. Good luck with the build. Great bike. Long wheel base made it a dream on fast down hills.
There was/is a neon yellow/neon pink colour for the 1989 PM - this was supposedly reserved for Marin Team riders, however it could also be obtained direct from factory shops etc.
See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=305834

And in 1989, they still put chainstay U-brakes on the smaller model (15.5") due to heel clearance issue as cantis were still wide profile.

There are also subtle differences between 1989-1990 in the seat stay thickness - slightly thinner in 1989 but this is hard to spot. (Easy for 1990-1991 comparison because of the introduction of the Afterburner stays in 1991).

Latest posts

Back