1993 Rocky Mountain The Edge

cyclotoine

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Need some help getting this one going so I put all the parts I have collected in a pile so I could consider it. Maybe this thread and your comments will help give me the push I need.

1993 was the first year for the Edge and the first full suspension in the Rocky Line. The frames were made of Tange Prestige and I believe welded by Chris Dekerf in Vancouver, they were mated to an Amp rear end and came with an Amp fork, sold as a frame set. I have seen quite a few amps floating around out there but I loath the idea of trying to change or extend a steer tube and I have a perfectly good Mag 21 SL sitting around. Besides I think it works well and the following year the alloy version was spec'ed with the superior rock shox up front.

Being a bit OCD I felt I needed to polish the frame and put new decals on before I did anything, but now I think I should just put it together without polishing anything and see what it look like. I can take it apart and polish stuff later.

I also have considered lacing silver AT20s onto the silver hubs pictured here and using the grey AT 18s on black XT hubs slated for a '92 blizzard, but I should really just put this together and maybe source other rims for the blizzard.

I am sticking to the black headset, I think, which matches the original black post collar and will offset the black pedals, fork arch and brake arch on the back I think. It should be the right balance with the silver syncros stem, post, and rings mated with the race face crank. I should be an IB on this bike, but I think the spiders on those are prone to cracking and these turbine will look great. I am not overly concerned about period correct as you can tell by the '94 fork. Also the silver will match the hubs and XTR m900 derailleurs. I'll gloss it up with all the little red touches of anodizing as you can tell.

Other considerations... avid or tektro levers? Lizard brakes (which are a bit dark I think), old curve brakes from a Kona? or something else? I am missing parts for the curves so wouldn't be able to use either of the red hangers shown which is probably reason enough not to use them.

Comments, and advice welcome.

Yet to source: Tires (maybe some Matrix I have) and a better saddle. I like the "rockline" but it is pretty worn.

Sorry for the crap photos.
IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

I don't have the brace pictured here because I waffled too long on the purchase and the guy gave it to a buddy.

Great project! It looks like a 93 front triangle, but a 94 rear end. Maybe it was a warranty replacement at one point. Anyway, the silver Syncros and Race Face parts will look great on this bike! I think red ano parts also look good, but I think it might look better with a silver handle bar vs. the red one.
Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Re:

my vote is getting a proper matching front Amp fork for this. registering interest in that RaceFace "air alloy?" bar if you end up not using it. ;)

Blizz":1gngmniz said:
Great project! It looks like a 93 front triangle, but a 94 rear end.
aside from color? what makes you say this is a 94 rear end? :?

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":100bsck6 said:
my vote is getting a proper matching front Amp fork for this. registering interest in that RaceFace "air alloy?" bar if you end up not using it. ;)

Blizz":100bsck6 said:
Great project! It looks like a 93 front triangle, but a 94 rear end.
aside from color? what makes you say this is a 94 rear end? :?

I could be wrong, but all the 94 Edges I've seen have a silver rear end (contrary to the catalogue) and a TWP brace, like in the bottom photo. And I thought all the 93 Edges had purple rear ends with no brace. Other than that, I think they are the same. I suppose someone could have added the brace aftermarket as well.

Re:

Stick it together as it's easy to take apart, just don't cable it up and have a play around with parts.

Shame you've not got the SL parts for the fork, the SL braces silver would balance nicely in this and the SL steerer would mean you could go ahead like it would have been (and lighter).

Trythe Avid brakes first.

Re:

Thanks for the comments.

I think the red bars are staying. Maybe they won't look good when I build it up, but I love them.

I mocked up the bar last night and I think the avid levers will look better on the red bars. I think I need some different cantilevers though, I am not really happy with either of the options. XTR M900 might be the way to go, but then again I should use the shimano straddles and not the Onza Chill Pills (and I really want to use the Onza).

I thought the rear end was odd too, but if I have learned anything looking at rocky catalogues it is that bikes often ended up different in the main production run than what was shown in the catalogs. The 1992 blizzard is a prime example that came in two different paint schemes, the more commonly seen one was not the catalogue version.

Regarding the fork, yeah I thought the parts didn't seem quite right when I got it. I am trying to source a black brodie arch for the fork which would balance things out and I don't mind the threaded set-up. I sold all my silver syncros stems anyway so I have to stick to threaded now, The onza headset is pretty cool anyway.

ringle? i don't see any ringle bits at all… are you referring to the onza chillpills or avid/tektro straddles??? :?

Back