1991 GT Karakoram project XT/DX/Onza/Ritchey rebuild

Hairylegs66

Devout Dirtbag
16119517446_0bbde92cd9_z.jpg

After owning a '91 Tequesta for 23 years and regretting not buying a Karakoram
of the same vintage I have now bought one in good, mostly original condition.
It is a 20" Inferno Red frame which looks in good shape, apart from some gear cable rub below the bottom headset race and some minor paint and decal damage, which I'm going to sort out with Humbrol enamels and a detail brush. Gil doesn't stock these early GT decals and he would need the bike to do them, which is fair enough as he does excellent work (more about that later).

My plans for the bike are:-
new R501 Shimano headset (NOS)
new Shimano UN55 cartridge BB 73mm x 122.5mm (the cup and cone BB looks original and has play in it, I hope I can get it off!)
Shimano DX Chainset (Biopace rings) from my Tequesta, which will then get the LX cranks from the karakoram with a set of hardly used LX400 Biopace rings (the LX rings are very worn)
Shimano DX pedals
Shimano DX FD & RD M650 front and rear mechs
Shimano HG70 chain
Shimano HG70 13 - 30 cassette (NOS, to offset the 48 tooth big ring!)
Shimano XT MO91 shifters and brake levers
Shimano BRM650 front cantilever (NOS) and BLM63 rear U brake (NOS)

The steel GT bars are badly scratched (as ever) and will be replaced with a set of black Ritchey forcelite bars. Bar ends will be Onza Ti and grips will be Onza Ules.
The non - original seatpost will be replaced with a first generation Syncros one I have that needs re-anodising and new decals (which I have thanks to Gil!) Saddle will be an original 1992 Flite Ti.

The original Araya CV7 grey anodised rims on LX hubs are actually in really good nick but will be replaced with a period set of silver Ritchey Vantage Comp rims on XT hubs.
Tyres will be the classic Panaracer Dart/Smoke amberwall combo.

What else? New inner & outer gear cables and a NOS Shimano XT730 seatpost quick release as the original GT one is beyond saving. The original seatpost collar will get stripped and a respray in black enamel.

I'm really looking forward to getting on with this build as I have 95% of the parts, I just need the time to do it! Will post some pictures once I can get the hang of it :?

(edit - link to a few pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/124603500@N08/)
Can't get the hang of this IMG business, dammit!!

Re:

Hi Very nice bike :cool: really liking that paint job
will be watching with interest what you do to your syncros seat post. All of mine are faded and looking very poor and I've always wondered if they could be re-anodized. hope you can detail this
cheers
LF

Re: 1991 GT Karakoram project

Update -

More pictures added to show the new bits and the not so good stuff needing some attention:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124603500@N08/

The Syncros seatpost is somewhere in Royal Mail's big black hole of a delivery system on its way to be stripped, polished and re-anodised - if it ever arrives.... :facepalm: So much for track and trace eh?

I don't want to cut up the Ules so they won't be going on, instead I have found some black Porcipaws that will do the job with the bar-ends. Took the BB out last night (no drama) and going to sort out the headset at the weekend, time permitting. I have a NOS alloy GT headset locknut on the way from the States to replace the silver Shimano item.
Other purchases are a set of used M735 XT pedals which will need a tidy up, 2 Onza Buzzsaw SS 26/36 chainrings (fingers crossed as things have gone a bit quiet with one of the sellers :| ) and a low mileage 46T SG chainring which will probably go on a DX chainset, although some NOS MT730 cranks I've seen are veeery tempting.. Also some bargain crank centre caps, milled in aluminium all the way from Thailand - for USD 9.99 including P&P! Bargain.
Once the headset is done I will sort out the paintwork before starting assembly. Has anyone got any helpful tips with the internal brake cable routing on early GT's?

Re:

Not a lot of progress due to no spare time and various parts disappearing in the Royal Mail black hole, thankfully all turned up eventually :roll: .
However, the new headset and bottom bracket are fitted, decals have been repaired, damaged paintwork touched in and I now have all the parts for the build. I've got to cut the paint back with Autoglym polish before I start assembly. (The old brake cables and outer casings are still there as guides for fitting the new ones.)
Lots of cleaning, lubing and polishing still to do.

Attachments

• DSC_0254 compressed.JPG
    DSC_0254 compressed.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,096
  • DSC_0239 resize.jpg
    DSC_0239 resize.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3,095
  • DSC_0248 resize.JPG
    DSC_0248 resize.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,092
  • DSC_0245 copy.JPG
    DSC_0245 copy.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,095
Finally finished..here's my take on a '91 Karakoram Inferno with a bunch of period upgrades along the lines of the Elite model of that year. It's a really great ride, a little twitchy because of the narrow bars but excellent fun and that's what it is all about :D

A big thanks to Mombat for inspiration and guidance with picking period appropriate parts, Gil M for the Syncros decals and a whole bunch of Retrobikers around the world for lightening my wallet :D

Frame: 1991 GT Karakoram Inferno - Triple Triangle, Tange Cro-Moly, size : 20”

Fork: GT Triple Trak Cro-Moly

Headset: 1 1/8” threaded Shimano LX M550, GT alloy locking lockring
Stem: GT Cro-Moly
Handlebar: Litespeed Titanium 600mm wide, 25.4mm diameter
Grips: Onza Porcipaws
Barends: Onza Titanium with Onza RCR200 rubber hoods & bolts.

Brakes: Front – Shimano DX BR650 low profile cantilevers,
Rear:- Shimano DX BR MT63 U Brake with Power Plate and Shark Tooth anti-jam.

Brake Pads: Stock Shimano DX
Brake Cables: Shimano stainless steel
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano MO92 Servo Wave (2 fingers)

Shifters: Shimano STI MO92 Rapidfire Plus
Front Derailleur: Shimano DX FD650 (26.8 mm, bottom pull)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano DX RD650 long cage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano stainless steel
Cassette: Shimano HG70 (13 – 30)
Chain: Shimano HG91 with KMC quick link
Cranks: Shimano MT60, 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano DX
Chainrings: 46t – Shimano SG, 36t Onza Buzz Saw stainless steel, 26t Onza Buzz Saw stainless steel
Chainring bolts: Stronglight stainless steel
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 cartridge (122.5 x 73)
Pedals: Shimano: DX PD MT60

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT M730/M732 quick release
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Competition
Hubs: Shimano XT M730/M732 36 hole
Nipples: ?
Spokes: 14 gauge stainless steel
Tyres: Rear - Panaracer Smoke Classic 2.1”, Front – Panaracer Dart Classic 2.1”
Tubes: Air B Butyl (Presta)

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite 1990 (titanium rails)
Seatpost: Syncros Propost 25.0mm with USE 26.4mm alloy shim
Seatpost Binder: Shimano XT M730
Other stuff: Ringle H2O bottle cage, Jagwires Tube Tops
Weight: 26.5 lbs

Attachments

• DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,941
  • DSC_0260.jpg
    DSC_0260.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2,935
  • DSC_0261.jpg
    DSC_0261.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,934
  • DSC_0262.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,933
  • DSC_0263.jpg
    DSC_0263.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,933
  • DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,932
  • DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,940
  • DSC_0266a.jpg
    DSC_0266a.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 2,943
Re:

Blast from the past! I love it!!! I remember putting these things together. Thanks for the memories.

Back