lava dome 1992

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Just got my first ever Kona :D :D :D :D .

Lovely purple colour (not blue- pics are rubbish). Most of it is original just needs a bit of TLC to get it up to scratch.

Few questions to the Kona fans, forks say triple butted on decals but the orig. ones with this bike were double, any way to tell which type of P2 I have? Also the rear der. is exage LX 500 but the front is DX, was this was standard do you think? Last one for now but is there a good way to bring up the paintwork as it is a bit tired looking?

Looking at getting it all period correct so will need a avocet saddle(anyone?) and some grips as those yellow ones are a bit to bright IMHO. Not sure if I trust the tyres as they are original to and are showing signs of age albeit they have had very little use, still have hairs on :shock: .

Attachments

• kona2 (Large).jpg
    kona2 (Large).jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,728
  • kona3 (Large).jpg
    kona3 (Large).jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,728
ah lovely,one like that was my very first Mountainbike way back yonder,good memories,cherish it fella :cool:

if you want to know if they are triple or double butted forks, drop them out and it *may* (but not always) be stamped on the steerer DB (for double butted) or TB (triple butted).

nice looking ride there mate! if you want to sell the tyres let me know i want some JM tyres for a garage queen!

Went for a wee blast on the Lava Dome and had I opted for a kona BITD (was that or the clockwork), I'm sure I'd now be known as Konagazz.

Love the ride of this bike :D :D :D :D

So aggressive and tight- would even go so far to say it handles better than the clockwork :roll: Allbeit not quite as handsome ;)

clockworkgazz":m6hjp9hk said:
Few questions to the Kona fans, forks say triple butted on decals but the orig. ones with this bike were double, any way to tell which type of P2 I have? Also the rear der. is exage LX 500 but the front is DX, was this was standard do you think? Last one for now but is there a good way to bring up the paintwork as it is a bit tired looking?

Cool bike, i still want an early one with original paint for the collection :)

As you say, the forks should be DB. Are the decals on the fork legs lacquered over? It's possible they are replacements... Worth dropping them from the frame to check for a stamp. My later P2's have a stamp, not sure about my '92's though, i'll have to check.

DX front mech is a replacement, both originals were Exage 500LX.

T-Cut may work on the paint, depends how faded it is really. If you do polish it, give it a wax too to protect the finish :)

A font of knowledge as always paul, will have a look at the forks to confirm but the decals are not lacquered over so may just be DB. Will post some pics when she is a bit more shiny.

Back