89 Saracen Trekker comp finally gets built!

rupeww

Retrobike Rider
So, a few years ago I bought an old knackered trekker comp just to steal a few bits off it. It had seized cheapo suspension forks on it and a siezed bouncy broken seat post and was just a bit tatty. It did have scott At4 bars on it though, I already own a set but I knew they would sell.

Unfortunatly I dont have a photo of it when it arrived, it was that bad it didnt warrant a photo. I knicked the bits I wanted, sold the Scott AT4 bars (for about the same as the whole bike cost) and then took this photo before selling it back on ebay.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 703
Re: Saracen Trekker comp finally gets built!

So, some time passed and I get on with my other builds. Then my friend Coomber tells me there's a trekker for sale on ebay that might interest me. Turns out its the same one for sale again but the stuck seat post has been removed and its been cleaned up a bit.

As it turns out I now happened to have a near complete DX groupset in great condition sitting around, left over from my Dawes Escape that I had now stripped and sold the frame and forks. So I bought the frame back again, for less than I sold it for of course, and here it is.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 701
Re: Saracen Trekker comp finally gets built!

Now I quite likes the chipped and faded graphics, it gives it an authentic look but without the front forks this was never going to be an authentic build. I was planning to find any old forks and respray it all and build it with cantilever front brakes, not that much of crime as saracen did do a one U brake trekker, my 88 trekker XT is proof of that, but in 89 the trekker was definitely a UU. So it was going to built as an anonymous black bike but that was over a year ago and its been gathering dust ever since.

Well then, today, in the post arrives an original pair of U brake ready front forks, in black, in similar condition and with the correct stearer tube length!

For 99p aswell! Good old ebay.

Attachments

• 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 686
Also in the parcel was an original saddle.

I also have some saracen handle bars knocking around and so I'm pretty much ready to go!

As I like the worn pattina I'm going to keep it as is, the forks are worn in a similar way so it should look good, some of the parts I have are in very good condition so it might look a bit odd with shiny parts on but we will see.

In anticipation of the arrival of the forks from the slowest courier company on the planet I had already been gifted an extra U brake from Adrian ( Coomber) thanks for that!

Quickly knocked up the bigger bits will do the fiddly stuff tomorrow.

Attachments

• 028a.jpg
    028a.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 684
  • 026a.jpg
    026a.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 684
Back