1993 mongoose amplifier PICS ON PAGE 2 :)

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
was not really after another project but unit3 had this for sale and ive loved them for years. simple design and still unique with twin down tubes. for me it was especially when brian lopes??? was blasting down the ridge trail on "tread" and it opening and blew my mind of what could be done on a bike down err hills haha. to be fair dartmoor had some equally cool spot ;)

anyways, a super deal was done and it arrived superbly packaged and i really couldnt wait to get it out and look at it. build will be done with a fairly strict budget due to a vw t4 needing money throwing at it or should that be spanner :evil: . mainly xt stuff i already had and have recently sourced bits and the usual new seat post and cables etc. think im going to use some oldskool odyssey bear traps and use the goose as a "fun" bike and rag the hell out of it, just what they were built for :D going to mix a few anodised bits in the brighten it up abit and try and keep it clean over winter :facepalm:

heres a few pics of before (hope unit3 doesnt mind using his pics :LOL: :LOL: )

these are ace!!!!

this is a hard descision but i rek ill try the amp forks with extender, too cool not to and suit the bikes perfectly

bit of a clean. used tfr and fine wire wool then silver brasso. not perfect but not after perfection lol

spot the mistake............ :facepalm:

thats better, not the best picture but loving this!!!!

waiting for a few bits and i will start bolting together sunday :mrgreen:

Re: 1993 mongoose amplifier, quick build before crimbo

Nice! but I would advise against using that extender unless you cut off the threaded section. The threaded section is pretty weak on it's own and when you have an internal wedge pressing against it (with no headset on the outer threads) there is a risk of it breaking off in the threads.

the extender is 2/3 down the amp steerer and i may be able to use a headlock also with the wedge, but ta, will def bear this in mind :)

looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - the frame was too small for me in the end so I passed - mine is on its way though :)

Re:

Pretty sick! :)

Quite rare and have that un-cluttered appearance that some full sussers can be like.
Yes, it's the amp forks all the way. Geary and greasy stuff? Were these a frame only affair or was there a ready to roll groupset on them?

And, what are your plans for that aspect? parts bin stuff or uniform stuff?
No risers or single speed please! I will check you know. ;)

OOH, x-lite stubbies...silver...

cheers chris.

Wahay looking good already mate :D

All but one of my AMP variants have now gone :(

Looking forward to what you do with this, and im well in for the extender for the forks.

Like the great Dr Pepper said, what's the worst that could happen? :D

haha, cheers guys. :)

marc............parts bin im afriad ;) only ended up buying mior things like a silver post (im sure i had a new black one somewhere!!??), headset, decals and some 8 speed shifters. the rest ive had a while or stripped of others in the past for such a build. cant wait to fir the alivio and acera bits!!!!...................................:)

and the worst that can happen?.............................i'll have loadsa fun :)

bolted a few bits on tonight, bb, crank and mechs. dry fitted the wheels and the rear had a puncture and i was all out of patches etc so tescos it was .....oh the shame :( . hoping the headset and mech pulley thingy comes tomorrow

Re:

You can rag it down sheep shit alley and see how it compares to the pace. Not in how it rides but how that downtube works at reducing the shit in your face. I have a feeling I know which might come out tops.

Re:

Well,its finished bar a shack down ride. Changed the brakes from xtr cantis to xt v brakes as they felt very wooden and all appears okay.....although I don't like v's if im honest. All i had to actually do tonight was fit a new headset, tighten the bb and crimp the cables. Pics tomorrow :)

Back