Merlin Titanium 1991

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Right, about time I posted some details about my Merlin. I bought the frame and forks from a very kind RetroBiker in Canada who shipped this to the UK last spring, initially she was built with a Rasta theme based on the lovely anodised Salsa skewers she came with and the forks parts in homage to the previous owners plans. However having owned and then sold a stunning Ridgeback/Merlin Titanium which just looked pure class in it's neutral Silver and Black colours, I decided to tone down and go simple with this build.

This is one bike I will never part with, It's my sunny day pub lunch cross country rider :LOL:

I do have one dilemma, the current Pace RC35's don't offer much travel but are very light and are age correct, I have recently acquired some Pace MXCD's which offer more/ smoother travel. They will create a steeper head tube angle. Would you swap out for a better ride or keep as it?

Frame: 1991 18.5" Merlin Titanium

Fork: Pace RC35's

Headset: 1" Shimano XT
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod 1" quill 120mm zero rise
Handlebar: Bontrager Titec Titanium
Grips: ODI Attack
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900 with Titanium hardwear (including Ti motorcycle fairing bolts!)
Brake Pads: Shimano XT cartridge
Brake Cables: Clarks
Cantilever cable hangers: Front Pace rocker system, Rear Onza Chill Pill
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS-5

Shifters: Shimano XT Thumb shifters
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: Shimano HG41 11-28
Chain: Shimano HG91
Cranks: Topline
Crank Bolts: Middleburn self extractors
Chainrings: Rocket Rings outer, Shimano SG middle, unknown Ti granny ring. 46-36-26
Chainring bolts: Titanium
Bottom Bracket: Philwood press fit, Titanium axel
Pedals: Shimano XT M735

Hub Skewers: Ringle holey
Rims: Front Mavic 217 SUP Ceramic, Rear Mavic 217 SUP
Hubs: Front Pace RC50 carbon, Rear Shimano XT M732
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke and Dart combo 26x2.1
Tubes: Panaracer

Saddle: Flite Titanium 1996 Red label
Seatpost: Syncros 7075-T6 alloy, 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Ringle holey

Extras: Ringle alike bottle cage with Titanium L bracket and use of Titanium bolts where able.

Weight: Shade under 10kg

Right, pics of the Rasta theme when it was sunny:

As she now stands, sorry about the indoor pics. It's always raining when I find time to do this!

Hope you like it :D

Re:

Nice job!...I would say that though the build is not far off the same as mine (see sig) :cool:

Re:

Lovely bike fella, well done :cool:

I gotta get me one of these frames sometime

Mike

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I love yours Ant, I don't know quite why but I think Merlins look so much better without coloured bling ;)

Very very interesting.
Good job, also if I prefer rigid forks on a Merlin.
Are those original decals?

I believe they are. I have a rigid Rocky Mountain but needed something with Pace on and they just seem to suit a Ti frame so well.

Back