KHS Montana team - 1994

paddy311

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'd been looking for one of these for a while - finally found one on ebay USA in the summer. I'll document the buildup here over the coming days and weeks.

Here it is as it arrived, along with the fork I am using for it and a KHS stem. This was taken just prior to the bits leaving to be powdercoated:

gil_m did a great job of re-drawing the decals for me based on a few pictures and dimensions. Thanks Gil ! :cool:

Frame and fork are now back from being powdercoated. I fitted up the headset, cleared out the bottom bracket threads and applied all the decals today. Sharp eyed members may spot the super rare KHS F7 fork :LOL:

I have most of the stuff ready to put this back together so it won't be a long drawn out build. Annoyingly though, the powdercoater completely covered the stem, so now it won't fit into the steerer tube of the fork :facepalm: I have another stem I may use until I fix that.

More info when I've done some more....

Cheers

Re: khs

Very nice. Not seen a khs in those colours/decals before - must be 94/5/6?

Did they disappear soon after that? (I know they're back around now - maybe always were?)

Re:

Thanks very much.
And - you're right - it's a '94.
I've got another Montana team - a '93 with the blue and pink paintjob and more often seen decals. The '93 is too small for me though.

This silver one, however....... should fit me spot on. Fingers crossed anyway :)

Re:

Well..... I've already prepared myself for the likely fact that a lot of folk will not like the way I put it together - certainly for the initial build.
Wrong forks.... nasty coloured finishing kit.... wrong brakes... wrong drivetrain etc etc - a proper wrong 'un.

My bikes, my rules though - so no worries :D

Re: KHS Montana team - buildup thread

Its all good. Long as you like it and it gets used who cares.

Re:

Last week was very busy so its only today that I've had chance to spend some time on the KHS team.

Dug out some parts I've been hoarding for a while. NOS Ritchey pro-lite handlebar, Salsa stem, Paul Motolite brakes and love levers, salmon Kool Stop pads. Also not pictured are a USE seatpost and a Flite seat. Cleaned up a few bits and set about fitting the thing up.

The wheels came from here. Middleburn hubs and Mavic 517 rims. Both pretty much new - about 30 miles on them allegedly. I can believe it - they're immaculate :)

Only had about an hour today to work on the bike - so nothing is setup. Yes - I know the brake pads are all on backwards in the pics :oops: :D

More when I get chance to do a bit more :mrgreen:

Back