Kona Kilauea 1997 - now living in Germany

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
It's been quiet on the build front mainly because I ran out of room in my old flat. Luckily I moved earlier this year into a house with a garage and now things are calming down on that front, it means I have space to play with. Also, I've been having fun riding my stable because that's what they were built for!

To recap, I'm obsessive about the 97 range to the fact I have the 97 catalogue on my bedside table so when I don't fancy reading whatever book I have on, I can give it a quick flick through and drool (!) over the wish list (see here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=298615 and here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=239743).

Ever since I got the Explosif I've been curious to see and feel the difference with the Kilauea. Both similar but with notable differences frame wise. From what I can tell from the threads here, the Explosif is more rigid where-as the Kilauea is slightly more giving. I'd like to put that to the test hence...

...this. Since the chances of getting a Special Edition 97 Kilauea are as likely as me getting a 97 Kapu, I've been rooting around for the,standard version. A few have come up this year in the 19" size but in my opinion were over-priced. I actually owned an 18" one a few years ago as a doner bike for my Manomano. That frame is now with a certain Kona hoarder in Denmark ;) I happened to stumble on this one on the US ebay site and after checking the seller would ship to the UK, put a max bid in of $150. It went for $139, about £87 :mrgreen: Of course shipping is a killer but we've worked it out and from next Friday it'll be heading east to these shores.

So what did I get? Here's the side shot from the ebay ad:

kTSjht.jpg

She's straight and dent free from what I can tell so fingers crossed that's the case. She's a 20" sporting the TB P2's she came with - a rarity (with that length of steerer) since many folk upgraded to suspension. She does have some patina on the chain stay but nothing that can't be treated. She definitely won't be getting a respray.

So what about the build? I prefer catalogue or of the era spec because the kit works and I'm used to it. M739 XT is the way with the usual Flite and Chris King headset business. Wheel's are where I'm umming and ahhing so suggestions would be useful. I'd like Mavic 220/221's on XT.

I'm really looking forward to this hence the early place-holder. There are a few 97 Kilauea's on here and they look ace; any feedback from the Kona heads is always appreciated! In the meantime, here's the catalogue shot minus my drool ;)

97Page17.jpg

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - experiment time

I will be watching this! It's always a shame to re-spray any 97 Kona as they ARE the best ones ever!!

I too used to drool over that catalogue when I was in year 10 at school, a mate of mine did work experience at Evans cycles at Waterloo and for a thank you he got a 97 cinder cone frame at a discount price which he would never tell us!!!! Me and my mates were all so jealous on our Saracen hard trax/back trax and shogun trail breaker 2s! Oh and one other lad who had rich parents had a GT timberline with rock who's Indy C - who on earth gets a £400 bike with £200 forks as a treat!!!!

This Kilauea is my favourite model of that year, you say you're after some m793, shame as I've just sold a chainset just like the LX one on this catalogue pic but with the silver top ring...

As for wheels, personally I'd go for a CD coated rim as they look awesome on the dark skinny frames, 217's or 517s, there is a set on eBay at the moment I think...

I'll be watching with interest! :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

You guys are talking my language. Read that 97 and 98 catalogue a hundred times. For me the best kona years. For ages I looked for a decent priced 20" frameset but they are rare.

Booking in for updates..

Going to like following this one!

konaben82":1oqb8k8p said:
Oh and one other lad who had rich parents had a GT timberline with rock who's Indy C - who on earth gets a £400 bike with £200 forks as a treat!!!!

I got a 95 timberline when i was about 12 (think it was for christmas though :) ) later put some rst 381's on it. Then it got nicked :(

:cool: al, thats a great frame - all you need for a classy ride is a steeled Kona with a P 2 :D

magas":3bxemami said:
:cool: al, thats a great frame - all you need for a classy ride is a steeled Kona with a P 2 :D

Cheers! She'll be a great addition to the stable:

Hard tail rigid - Kilauea
Road - Kapu
Commuter - Cinder Cone
Hard tail XC - Explosif
Full suss - Manomano
Cruiser - A'ha

:mrgreen:

Good to see the love for '97!

96 and 97 are the best Kona vintages, imo. :D

Love the red 97 Kula with matching Marz. bomber fork. (still a project on my side). The daughter loved her 97 Lava Dome; the green of the frame is sparkling in the sun. Unfortunatly she outgrow it.

I would kit the Kilauea with 737/739 XT parts, Magura brakes with custom levers, and silver parts.

Looking forward your build :)

magas":5a9yhpgp said:
96 and 97 are the best Kona vintages, imo. :D

Love the red 97 Kula with matching Marz. bomber fork. (still a project on my side). The daughter loved her 97 Lava Dome; the green of the frame is sparkling in the sun. Unfortunatly she outgrow it.

I would kit the Kilauea with 737/739 XT parts, Magura brakes with custom levers, and silver parts.

Looking forward your build :)

Yep, the Kula was ace. I'm slowly gathering articles and shots of the 97 range in action. MBUK went mad for the Kula that year, plenty of shots I'll hopefully get uploaded in due course.

The LD got one of the best colour schemes that year, almost too good for the frame / kit!

Magura's now there's a thought. What model was in use back in 97/98? Would the cable stops be an issue at all?

Latest posts

Back