Cannondale SM500, 1991

peakecentral

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone,

Like many others, I found this forum when I was searching for info on an older bike. We have a number of bikes stashed away, but the oldest are a 1990 Cannondale SM1000 (black/white) and this 1991 SM500 (blue), both owned from new. The SM500 looks really tatty, and is the subject of this thread. IO've just commenced a rebuild. It'll be recognisably an SM500, but the grotty blue paint is going, and will be replaced with a blue black powder coat this week. Never liked the 'Hyper-Highlight Blue' anyway.

Here it is now, sorry but it's a fuzzy image and the bike is now stripped to a frame:
20141106_173219.jpg

The decals will be interesting. I think I have a decent starting point in Illustrator, and I have access to a sticker cutter at work. Trouble is, the software to drive it is ancient, so I may have to create truetype fonts.

Martin

Frame ready for the professionals

So, I stripped the bike and the frame and fork are ready for spraying. It's being done by Mikris Finishers in Stroud, who seem to have a good reputation.

Here's the frame, ready to go:
frame.jpg

Slight chain scuffage:
damage.jpg

A bit of damage to the top tube that my wife did almost as soon as she had the bike...
toptube.jpg

And the Tange fork:
fork.jpg

Hopefully, it's going to look much nicer when it comes back in blue black.

Any suggestions for decal colours? I was thinking of yellow, orange or grey.

Hi,

It's my opinion but I really like this bright blue colour !
I hope that the new one will be good too.
It's a very nice project, good luck !

The History Man":3gys39y9 said:
Been looking for a local painter. Watching with interest.

Whats wrong with Argos in Bristol ain't that much further down the M5 than Stroud

Re:

I've done a few frames at the bodyshop i work at in malvern although not sure what the boss would charge they are usually for his friends i think.

Retro Spud":3kk6y4l7 said:
The History Man":3kk6y4l7 said:
Been looking for a local painter. Watching with interest.

Whats wrong with Argos in Bristol ain't that much further down the M5 than Stroud

I'm looking for functional rather than concours condition, and I can easily get to Stroud from work; not so Bristol. They jury's still out on what'll come back.

Bits and pieces

So here's my pile of replacement parts. I think there was plenty of life left in the BB, but since they're on offer at Wiggle I didn't see the point of spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

Since taking the photo, I've replaced the wheel bearings, and removed the nasty plastic spoke protector as well.

20141122_164424.jpg

Back