Gem of a find 99% original 1996 TEAM MARIN

skywalker482

Retro Guru
I'm really pleased with this find on Gumtree. It was advertised as a MARIN AFTERBURNER....but on close (max zoom) inspection of the pictures, I was almost certain it was a 1996 TEAM.....
A quick call to the seller and it was confirmed.
It is as it left the factory all except for the brakes and levers which have been changed for deore v brakes, even the tyres are original quake front and rear specific.
She looks a bit tired, but is extremely light and working perfectly, even the x ray 800 grip shift works properly.
XT mechs, White industries chainset and front hub, mavic 220 rims.....happy days. Just need to find some marin canti brakes for her and tidy her up.
these pics are as it came out of the box today......

Attachments

• IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,408
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,405
Re:

Nice! The WI hubs and cranks are really sweet. Its amazing how many really nice old bikes are sitting in someone's basement not being used...

Re:

Nice one !

What toobing is the frame made from ?

It does beg the question, is it better to get a tired bike and spend lots of time lovingly restoring it, or to get an old bike in pretty good nick and, gulp, ride it ?
Not a criticism you understand, merely a thought.

Mike

Re:

Don't get me wrong, this is a cracker, and when I say tidy up I mean new chain and casette as they've had it, and new cables and then she'll be used daily....potentially a powder coat as frame is pretty scuffed but we'll see..,
Not sure re tubing, sure someone will know ;)

Back