Info needed on the 1991 Trek 8700

concordino

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This model has been pretty popular with members on here. It is the one with carbon fiber black on conch....

Can anyone please tell me the clamp size on the Front Derailleur ?

Also Treks of 1991 had a odd part sitting on top of the front derailleur which seemed to be bottom pull.

I don't seem to have that part, what is the recommended alternative installation ?

Thanks a lot

Re:

Hi there

I know Feetabix aka Darren has a 8700 and will be able to help
Also Nader had the same problem with his front mechanism.
Check out his build thread as he over came it ... just drop his name and trek into the search bar above or drop him a pm

Nick

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

raidan73":2xw0n9z1 said:
They take a 35.0 band and use a little ferrule to allow the outer cable to run all the way to the mech.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TREK-93 ... 233a8ba907

Thanks... Suppose i don't have that ferrule, would 34.9 top pull front derailleur fit fine... or does the lack of cable guides on the seat tube render this setup impossible ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I guess that with a bolt on stop on the down tube you would be ok.

concordino":2zxa2d6q said:
This model has been pretty popular with members on here. It is the one with carbon fiber black on conch....

Can anyone please tell me the clamp size on the Front Derailleur ?

Also Treks of 1991 had a odd part sitting on top of the front derailleur which seemed to be bottom pull.

I don't seem to have that part, what is the recommended alternative installation ?

Thanks a lot

Look there.
For the clamp diameter, I have to check on mine but I think it's 31.8 (mine is the 1990 8700 neon orange, with suntour groupo)

Back