1990 Gt Xizang (with a few issues..)

mtbdave

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ok
I have always wanted one of these bikes,I put a advert up on the Mtb wanted section (never thought I would get a offer)
I was after a early version ideally latest 94/95 at a push,but deep down a early "U" brake version.

Then in my inbox one day arrived a message from Retroboston offering me a 1990 xizang (serial TTN 103)
So a deal was done and it arrived here in the UK last week and as you can imagine I am like a kid on xmas day.

Enough waffle some photos!

The issues,

Now as you can see I need to remove the headset, what's left of the bottom cup could be a problem.
Also it has a tiny hairline crack in the weld around the bottom bracket

Gonna need some 90 decals and everything for this bike m730/2/5 group set (I have listed every thing in the wanted section)

Dave.

Nice :cool:

Im hoping to get a Ti frame soon also.

That lower cup, it looks a little like a reducer ring?
Have you tried tapping it out? I read your post about removing them, it's worth the £10 for a removal tool :)

Niall.

Re:

Nice, and great to score such an early one - u-brakes rule :cool:

Sorry about the quality of the photos it's more like a "guess the frame" set of photos,lol

I have splashed out on a headset removal tool.

Also included in the sale was a
Tioga avenger headset (nos)
Gt/ame grips
A 1990 gt chromoly stem (needs a black paint job)
1991/2 fluro decals
A gt branded black bar too.

Plan is too do it as per catologue spec (I have a 90 one here)
Fork will be a tange "big" fork if anyone has one.

It's a 20" frame (largest size they made)

I have removed the old head set now (with a ice tools headset removal tool)
Few bits have arrived
Black m730/2/5 front canti brake.
A immaculate m730 front mech (band on style)
A pair of m091 sti shifter/brake leavers

Still need a rear mech
Cranks with the black rings
And some araya rm17 rims
Black hub set
Tioga prestige bar and seat post 27.2mm

Re:

Thats a great frame you got there! I have fond memories of my mates probably same year as that. He was only 15 when he had it ! I plugged for the steel psyclone frame which also caused some excitement wherever i rode it. Cant wait to see the build. Think they came with GT's own 3D fork and Tioga headset

Back