My 1991 Brodie Romax

nuclearfusion

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but figured I'd introduce myself and my favorite ride. This is my 1991 (I think it's a '91, could be a '92? - it's serial number 1284) Brodie Romax. I got it in 1993 from its original owner who had never really ridden it. I've had it ever since - it's been to Australia with me and back, and has for the last 20 years lived here in Vancouver.

When I got it the grape(?) coloured frame had classic black brodie decals on it and I didn't like the look of them. I called up Paul and asked for blue decals - he said they'd only been doing black or white ones but not for any real reason other than it was simpler than having a lot of colours. He put me in touch with the lady who was doing the Brodie decals at the time. I got her to make me a set of blue 3M retro-reflective decals for it. You might be able to see them reflecting back daylight in some of the photos. This may be the only set of "official" retro-reflective Brodie decals anywhere. I wasn't thinking much about that at the time, just liked the look so went with the idea.

A buddy of mine and I used to hang out at Mountain & Beach first when Rod Kirkham had his location up on Main St before moving down to Broadway. My buddy got his Off Road Toad from Rod and being a bit nuts for the whole thing at the time we were in there quite a bit. When I told Rod I was going to Australia for 1994 and taking the Romax with me he gave me a chainstay sticker for it and I told him I'd send him some business from down under. Not sure if that ever happened but I did get quite a few people asking me about the bike that year!

Most parts are original with a very few exceptions due to preference or wear over the years. I didn't get a brake booster with it so put the DKG one on. I replaced the original Deore thumbshifters with XT ones. I didn't like short brake levers so scrounged around until I found a set of the (rare I think) 4-finger XT SLR ones. Add-ons include the classic NghtSun lightset, an Apex Defender with my own decidedly agricultural fender stay, leather-wrapped toe clips, etc.

It has a been a great bike and a lot of fun over these years. Very nice to ride. To be honest I've never really been in love with the grape-coloured paint but with the bright purple axle and seat QRs and blue decals at least it's unique!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• nuclearfusion - romax-1.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-1.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • nuclearfusion - romax-2.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-2.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • nuclearfusion - romax-3.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-3.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • nuclearfusion - romax-9.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-9.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,038
  • nuclearfusion - romax-5.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-5.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,037
  • nuclearfusion - romax-6.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-6.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • nuclearfusion - romax-7.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-7.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • nuclearfusion - romax-8.jpg
    nuclearfusion - romax-8.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 1,040
Re:

Welcome to the forum :)

An interesting colour that one. Looks to be in pretty good shape overall? Paul could tell you the build date if you dropped him an email but I'd agree with 1991, maybe even a very late 1990 build?

Re: thanks you guys

Yes, it's in excellent shape actually. I haven't ridden it to death and when not on the road it lives on a hook in my garage. Probably having one owner for the last 21 years helps too - I imagine when bikes change hands they might tend to get changed around a lot.

The bike rides really nice, actually quite relaxed - I think the headtube geometry and gatorblade fork geometry helps that.

About the colour - I've only seen one other one in this paint scheme. Several times I've considered getting it repainted (and Toxic Harald's shop is really close by) but every time I've managed to resist the urge. I think if I do send it in for paint I'd want to do a full refit at the same time - and since it rides really nice as is that's why I'm resisting. Although my imagination does get fired up by all the really nice paint jobs coming out on these boards and on some of Paul's custom frames class projects!

Enjoy!

Re:

Gorgeous Romax! I really like the grape colour. Interesting that it doesn't have the sleeved seat tube join the earlier ones have.

That colour, those decals...lovely, lovely. I appreciate it's set up for a reason, remove those bits (lights, guard) and this will look even more ace-balls.

Back