the wifes 92 marin eldridge grade

redfern1950s

Retro Guru
Hello...

Thought i should start a thread on this old lady..

Bought new from sharrocks cycle world ( eccleston nr chorley )..
I was the mechanic there at the time and remember building this bike up with its original parts and wheeling it out in to the shops show room..
It was then sold to the guy who built/laced wheels for the shop, He was responsible for the upgrades, such as the xtr headset & xt cranks etc.
The bike was then handed over to his younger sister jeanette.
I eventually left sharrocks to open my own bike shop..., thus loosing touch with Andrew ( i had never met his sister )...
A few years passed, then out of the blue, i got a phone call from 'sharrocks' asking if i would like to come in and help with the building of a customers 'yeti fro'...... and run things for a while.
"sharrocks was closing down, and james the owner wanted me to just sell every thing"
The shop was only supposed to stay open for a month or two, but i managed to keep it going for over 9 months, mostly on my own !!
Whilst working there, i had spotted this beautiful young lady on a marin eldridge riding past a few times.....,
Turned out to be Andrew the wheel builders younger sister, who was a member of the local mtb club....., and was pretty good on a bike...

Was mad to see one of my old builds being used properly..

Six months of showing interest, and im still with her after all these years.

Well, this bike has had a hard life, put through its paces for many years, then sadly neglected for many more, Used and abused and unloved, then left out side at her mothers house in wenlockhead in scotland..

We only rescued it the other year, every bolt is very rusty, the forks have surface rust as well.
Lots of deep scratches and rust spots ( nothing on the serious side with the rust issues )
The chain was solid ! tyre's where perished etc etc........., not looking good.

We gave it a bit of a clean, some new cables,tyres and a bit of tinkering...., it rode ok, but feels old & very tired....,oh ye, the headset lock nut is now void of threads....

So now is the time to do something with it......., im thinking totally period correct for the rebuild, with fresh paint the works..

I well take some more photo's when i get the chance..

1992 marin eldridge grade by redfern1950s, on Flickr

You be careful. Calling your wife and old lady. Is the post one long metaphor?

What a lovely story. If you'd murdered her you'd have been out in seven.

It should get the build they both deserve.

stitched you up there eh?

The History Man":sxeyyrnd said:
You be careful. Calling your wife and old lady. Is the post one long metaphor?

What a lovely story. If you'd murdered her you'd have been out in seven.

It should get the build they both deserve.

stitched you up there eh?

haha.....,your right, it does look like one long metaphor......, :D

ps, i like your good sense of humour ....., i had'nt thought of murder.........,yet :D

Im gonna need some help with this build, when i start..., needs to be right.

Red.

Re:

What a great story :) You'll enjoy bringing this one back to it's former glory I'm sure.

Re: Re:

raidan73":pqnxka7o said:
What a great story :) You'll enjoy bringing this one back to it's former glory I'm sure.

Cheer's mate,
I was'nt going to tell the story at first, But glad i did, its brought back some brilliant memories, that im happy to share.

Red.

Bullpup":88qdcbof said:
Great story. Did her brother build the wheels?

Glad you like the story, seems like such a long time ago.

Good point about the wheels, I will have to get in touch with her brother about that, being 231's, ive a good feeling he did. they still run pretty true considering.

Red.

Bullpup":2kxzydzu said:
Great story. Did her brother build the wheels?

I cant remember what the original wheels/rims would have been on this , But can confirm the brother-in-law did indeed build the wheels.

Back