1996 Kona Hot

KonaHoathy

Old School Hero
I posted this a little while ago, but I have some actual good pictures now, and I have changed a few bits (forks, front wheel). What do ya reckon??

P1010098.jpg

P1010096.jpg
[/list]

Looks good, although I'm not a big fan of flat pedals on lightweight xc bikes.

With the saddle pushed way back on the rails on that layback post, you must have long femurs ;)

I can't get on with SPDs, they give me cramp. I try them every so often, but everytime i end up going back to flats, i've been meaning to get some new pedals for it actually.

As for the saddle thing, i think you might be right, about the position, not my femurs, i might move it forward and see what happens.

doesnt look a 1996 to me, decals are completely wrong, i have the 1997 hot, your decals came after mine

nice frame either way dude

:D

It has been resprayed (before I owned it) and had newer decals (1998 I believe) fitted then. It was also originally a custom paint job as opposed to a single colour.

KonaHoathy":3mlv0862 said:
It has been resprayed (before I owned it) and had newer decals (1998 I believe) fitted then. It was also originally a custom paint job as opposed to a single colour.
Yes, I really like that colour, but it does have 98 decals and the frame is a 96, as shown by the down tube routing for both mechs. The rear V-brake cable stop wasn't there as first built, but anybody getting their Hot repainted around that time would have taken the opportunity to have one fitted. It could even have been a big part of the reason for the new paint job.

How do you find the handling with such a long fork?

I like it, "such a long fork", i suppose it is by retro standards... its only a Fox F80 RL (80mm travel), I haven't actually ridden it off road since I got them! (yesterday!) so i couldn't tell you! But before that I had 80mm dukes, and before that 80mm SIDs, and it always handled well with those, so I can't see these being a problem, actually when i fitted them I discovered that the crown to axel length was slightly shorter on the Fox's than on the Duke's, so if anything this should be an improvement.

Good lightweight alternative to SPDs are Tioga Surefoot MX CNC pedals.

They come up NOS every now and again and weigh a featherlight 205g per pair. And they look pretty especially in silver. Small size may not give enough support for everyone, but I love them.

Attachments

• Tioga Surefoot Comp cnc.jpg
    Tioga Surefoot Comp cnc.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,243
Hot

Think its a '97 as the dropouts are diff from mine, plus mine has more tapered seat stays as opposed to the almost straight tubes.

Back