'94 Kona Lava Dome rides again

Max Mudroom

Dirt Disciple
The mission: build an everyday workhorse bike I can ride with the family, down bridleways or to work and back, whatever the mood dictates. Finally happy with the build and out today between rain showers for some pictures, attached below.

The bike is based on a '94 Kona Lava Dome frame (purchased here as a frame only from Barney Rubble) and now built up with mostly period-correct LX/STX groupset and some more modern parts thrown in.

The Rockshox are from 2001 so won't please purists but they work well and are set up soft with 100mm travel. I ran with cantis for a while but couldn't get them working how I wanted so now running Tektro V's with NOS LX levers. Full spec sheet below.

Finishing kit includes silver cable outers and a few orange anodised bolts to set off the orange and silver of the original decals. The original outer chainring was worn beyond use so upgraded to a 44t Stronglight, one of the few I could find in the right 94mm BCD size.

Modern saddle and tyres both by Charge, not sure about the feel of the tyres but they're light and fast rolling so staying for now.

Rides great (of course), fast and light, and I think it looks good too. One happy Retrobiker :D

Spec Sheet:

Frame: 1994 Kona Lava Dome 20"

Fork: 2001 Rockshox Judy XC

Headset: M:part Sport w/Lizard Skinz headset protector
Stem: Easton EA70
Handlebar: Lapierre XC Riser
Grips: Stella Azzuri foam

Brakes: Tektro Quartz MT15
Brake Pads: Tektro
Brake Cables: Grey Jagwire
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore LX M570

Shifters: Shimano STX RC 24 speed
Front Derailleur: Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX
Derailleur Cables: Grey Jagwire
Cassette: Shimano HG41
Chain: KMC Z8
Cranks: Shimano STX
Crank Bolts: Shimano self extracting
Chainrings: Stronglight 44t outer/STX 32t middle/22t inner
Chainring bolts: Weaponized alloy anodized orange
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN
Pedals: Shimano M324 SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore LX
Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: Shimano Deore LX
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Charge Splashback 2.1

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Bottle cage: Planet X w/orange anodized bolts
Chainstay protector: Lizard Skinz neoprene
Bell: Dunno the make but it's definitely retro

Weight: TBC

Attachments

• P1140171.JPG
    P1140171.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,326
  • P1140177.JPG
    P1140177.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • P1140173.JPG
    P1140173.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,325
  • P1140182.JPG
    P1140182.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,324
  • P1140174.JPG
    P1140174.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,324
  • P1140178.JPG
    P1140178.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • P1140146.JPG
    P1140146.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • P1140175.JPG
    P1140175.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,211
Adam D":2pozgybw said:
Thats very nice, love the colour!

What year are those LX Levers?

I like the colour too, contemplated a repaint but no need with this.

According to Google I think the levers are 1999-2003, someone on here will know I expect, if that's not true

Yup. Like it. Good decision to keep the paint - would be a sin to repaint that.

Now then.....is that a bell in first pic?

jonthefish":17xi6jh7 said:

I'm afraid so... call it a regional variation - it's essential where I ride as there are a lot of urban shared-use paths with random dog walkers and other assorted pedestrians. Lots of horses on the limited local off-road trails too and a bell works wonders. But I concede I should have taken it off for the photo shoot. It's a retro bell with a 25.4 clamp, if that's any comfort to you. :D

Besides, everyone should have a bell, it's good for morale; when you're toiling up the side of a Welsh mountain, deep inside a world of pain and suffering as you try to remember why you like mountain biking, nothing raises a smile like an unexpectedly cheerful 'ping ping!' from one of your mates...

Max Mudroom":2dc1z0s4 said:
jonthefish":2dc1z0s4 said:

I'm afraid so... call it a regional variation - it's essential where I ride as there are a lot of urban shared-use paths with random dog walkers and other assorted pedestrians. Lots of horses on the limited local off-road trails too and a bell works wonders. But I concede I should have taken it off for the photo shoot. It's a retro bell with a 25.4 clamp, if that's any comfort to you. :D

Besides, everyone should have a bell, it's good for morale; when you're toiling up the side of a Welsh mountain, deep inside a world of pain and suffering as you try to remember why you like mountain biking, nothing raises a smile like an unexpectedly cheerful 'ping ping!' from one of your mates...

No comfort needed - I kinda like it! Who knows, you may start a new retro trend. Now, where did I stash that old horn with the rubber bulb.......

Latest posts

Back