Kona Caldera 1997,,,Mountain Goat/Altitude made

mrdryskull

Old School Hero
Some requests for some more pics..(you know who you are),,97 Caldera,Hand made in USA by Altitude/Mountain Goat..
Was in the catalog,but some say never sold to the public.Kona says aproximately 50 were built.Made from "Altitude" steel tubeset.Left over Prestige Ultimate from Mountain Goat perhaps? The stays are much more dainty than the Columbus tubed Explosif from the same year.

Attachments

• Caldera 008.JPG
    Caldera 008.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Caldera 009.JPG
    Caldera 009.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 1,602
  • Caldera 010.JPG
    Caldera 010.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Caldera 011.JPG
    Caldera 011.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,596
  • Caldera 012.JPG
    Caldera 012.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,595
  • Caldera 013.JPG
    Caldera 013.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,595
  • Caldera 014.JPG
    Caldera 014.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,598
Re:

Ok nothing to see here move on...holy mother! Seriously drooling over here! Thank you for posting this! Now if you ever wanted to sell...

Re:

Thanks Al-onestare,,some interesting stuff in there,,

Made me do a bit more digging,I know the Caldera is Altitude made,It has the Mountain Goat stamped rear dropouts.
Found this thread about a Altitude made Hot with the same dropouts.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=158794

Judging by the serial # ,it is Hot #110,made in November,96.
Looks like my Caldera is #34,,made in July,96.

The puzzling thing,,the Caldera has a serial # starting with HO...I think maybe it was supposed to be a Hot originally ?

Perhaps after they started making Hots,they decided to change tubesets,or had supply problems,?? or just used up the tubests in the racks to make room ?? We know Altitude had Mountain Goat stock to use up ( IE,the droputs),,
And if Kona was making,or planning to make Calderas offshore for the next season,slapping on some existing decals was an easy way to flog off 50 some oddball frames,,,

Re: Re:

mrdryskull":yz2sxtbq said:
Thanks Al-onestare,,some interesting stuff in there,,

Made me do a bit more digging,I know the Caldera is Altitude made,It has the Mountain Goat stamped rear dropouts.
Found this thread about a Altitude made Hot with the same dropouts.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=158794

Judging by the serial # ,it is Hot #110,made in November,96.
Looks like my Caldera is #34,,made in July,96.

The puzzling thing,,the Caldera has a serial # starting with HO...I think maybe it was supposed to be a Hot originally ?

Perhaps after they started making Hots,they decided to change tubesets,or had supply problems,?? or just used up the tubests in the racks to make room ?? We know Altitude had Mountain Goat stock to use up ( IE,the droputs),,
And if Kona was making,or planning to make Calderas offshore for the next season,slapping on some existing decals was an easy way to flog off 50 some oddball frames,,,

Excellent linking - I remember reading that one as well. So this, at least for me :LOL: is getting really interesting. Does it mean there are more questions than answers? With a (potential) Hot stamp, what on earth does this have tube wise? It was sketchy to begin with, it's even more so now. I wonder what the difference would be if we could line up a 97 Hot with this? (I've spent A LOT of time drooling and comparing the pic's).

It does confirm that I reckon they under-specc'ed the Caldera in the end.

Regarding the potential problem with supply, I wonder if this was to do with the 853 build challenges. Were their issues getting them straight? Who knows...not even Kona I reckon :LOL:

Re: Re:

al-onestare":26jdp3sm said:
Ok nothing to see here move on...holy mother! Seriously drooling over here! Thank you for posting this! Now if you ever wanted to sell...

I was going to message you about this! I remember a while ago you said you would be after one!! :D

Back