1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude restomod

ted andkilde

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys

I picked up a 1994 Altitude frame from another Canadian member here on the site and I'm embarking on a kinda/sorta restoration. It's a little rough around the edges and I'm not going to do anything irreversible so I don't feel too guilty ;).

Plan is for a full cosmetic restoration of the frame with a retro-ish SS build.

I have a few questions regarding the restoration, some of you are already helping me in another headset bearing thread, but it makes sense to compile all my silly questions into one thread :)

Cheers, Ted

Attachments

• alt6.jpg
    alt6.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • alt7.jpg
    alt7.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,185
  • alt8.jpg
    alt8.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • alt9.jpg
    alt9.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • alt10.jpg
    alt10.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,185
  • alt11.jpg
    alt11.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,184
  • alt12.jpg
    alt12.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,184
  • alt13.jpg
    alt13.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,185
Re:

More bits...

Attachments

• alt5.jpg
    alt5.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,177
  • alt4.jpg
    alt4.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,177
  • alt3.jpg
    alt3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • alt2.jpg
    alt2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Alt1.jpg
    Alt1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,177
Re:

Dumb question #2...

The top tube has a bunch of rust flakes rattling around in it.

Is it advisable to drill a hole through the inside of the head tube to allow treatment with some phosphoric acid based rust converter and a good soaking with Boeshield or Framesaver?

Cheers, Ted

Re:

is there not a hole inside the headtube for both the top and down tube? from the frame i've owned that i've noticed, they've always had holes.

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":f4l1y1jy said:
is there not a hole inside the headtube for both the top and down tube? from the frame i've owned that i've noticed, they've always had holes.

There didn't appear to be one at first glance, I'll look a little closer in the morning, BB shell has holes for the seat and downtube.

Cheers, Ted

Shoot, from perusing your scanned catalogs, it appears I was misled regarding the seatpost diameter, my Syncros is a 27.0, and both the 94 Altitude and my 95 Blizzard appear to be 27.2, one more thing to figure out :)

Re: Re:

ted andkilde":3rw46icu said:
RockiMtn":3rw46icu said:
Shoot, from perusing your scanned catalogs, it appears I was misled regarding the seatpost diameter, my Syncros is a 27.0, and both the 94 Altitude and my 95 Blizzard appear to be 27.2, one more thing to figure out :)

yep, up to 93, 27.0mm was fairly standard across the RM range. then in 93, all that changed.

Nice project! Do you want to repaint it, or do partial repaint? Or no repaint at all?

troje":3qb5mhxz said:
Nice project! Do you want to repaint it, or do partial repaint? Or no repaint at all?

Definitely needs a full refinish, a buddy here in town is sending three bikes off to DeKerf in a couple of weeks, so I was considering adding it to the same shipment, debating between that and finding a local powder coater. Whatever I do I need to sort out decals first. Cruising through old build threads leads me to believe there might be some out there already, otherwise it's photograph, clean up in Illustrator and get a print shop to run some off, I'm missing the "Altitude" and the fancy "RMB handbuilt in Canada" stickers off the top tube so I may have to lean on some fellow Rocky lovers for photos.

Cheers, Ted

BC":2l73z6y9 said:
There has to be holes otherwise it couldn't be welded.

I was mistaken, there is a tiny (1/8"?) hole in the headtube going into the toptube.

Should I attempt to enlarge it to get the rust flakes out? Or should I just snake a little tube through and blast it with some Boeshield?

Cheers, Ted

Back