Panasonic MC-5500

reindeer

Retro Guru
Saturday morning Mr. Postman delivered this Panasonic MC-5500. Well, nothing special, actually I was after a Bridgestone MB, but since nothing adequate showed up in a year, I lost patience and bought this one. Main point - it's japanese :mrgreen: . You don't see them to often (me thinks) so thought I share it.

Color is a very bright yellow, almost flouro, my camera doesn't display correctly. Very good condition imo, original paint and decals with minor scratches. According to the serial number it was made in '89. But it has to be a '88 by the decals and U brake, although the color doesn't match the '88 US catalogue (maybe the european was different). 3rd in their range, Tange MTB Frame and Fork, Tange CDS Headset and originally equipped with suntour.

Scan from the panasonic bike museum http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/ which is a great ressource.

Attachments

• panasonic21.jpg
    panasonic21.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,413
  • katalog88.jpg
    katalog88.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,419
Re:

Anyway, I neither have any suntour nor will I, so this won't be a catalogue build as I mainly need something to hang the XT 730 6 speed goodness on, I've collected so far. All used but good nick.

Latest addition are these PD-M730 pedals which are awaiting cleaning. Found out today the seals can be opened with the crank cap tool, hu.

BB isn't XT, maybe Deore but will use it anyway.

Levers have seen some miles, lot of ano missing on the left one so, not sure if I will use em.

XT Wheelset with Mavic Oxygen rims. Waiting for the front Quick release.

XT Shifters and U-Brake are missing, actually I have one but it's too scratched so, maybe I will use Deore. Same for the brake levers.

Attachments

• pd-m7301.jpg
    pd-m7301.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,388
  • fc-m7301.jpg
    fc-m7301.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,388
  • fd-m7301.jpg
    fd-m7301.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,390
  • fh-m7301.jpg
    fh-m7301.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,389
  • deore spares1.jpg
    deore spares1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,389
Re:

Looks like a nice project. A good stash of parts you have there - the wheels especially look cracking :D

Re:

Thanks for the appreciation, guys. Little update. Nice Ritchey seatpost sourced. Don't know from what time it is. The Turbo ist from my Stumpi which has a Flite now that suits it even better.

Also found a pair NOS 730 levers. Good things come to those who wait. Hope that works for the shifters as well. :mrgreen:

Did 730 pads have XT stamped on them or are these 732?

Stem is a Sakae and handlebar Sakae MT by the way. Nothing wrong with them imo, so they will stay.

Attachments

• saddle1.jpg
    saddle1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,186
  • levers1.jpg
    levers1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,186
Shakedown! Completly changed my plans, swapped parts from my Gazelle (now has XT 730 as I finally sourced the thumbies :D ) last weekend and built it up with Deore II throughout. Think that's more appropriate to the Tange MTB tubeset. MC 6500 had the Deore group and frame was, afaict, identical.

Next step will be replacing the Alesa rims with these Mavic 217 (my first encounter with wheelbuilding :? ). Isn't 100% period correct but the colour scheme of the stickers couldn't match the frame any better. Then a pair of blackwall panaracers from Santa and finished! :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• mc11.jpg
    mc11.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 2,016
  • mc22.jpg
    mc22.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,016
  • mc33.jpg
    mc33.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,017
  • mc44.jpg
    mc44.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,016
Re:

Great build :D

I was totally on board with what you've done.... until I saw those 217's :shock:

however she's been built to be a rider not a garage queen and in my book all the better for it....so your forgiven ;)

Back