Orange must be my lucky colour!.........

richardpaulbaker

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
So, I was trawling around the Bay of E recently looking for a cheap frame to build up into a winter commuter out of all the bits in the shed, when I stumble across a listing of a familiar looking frame.
The guy selling it wasn't sure what it was, but the bloke down his LBS had apparently told him "It might be an old Orange".
Since the bidding was only at £5.50 I decided to investigate further.
After a couple of days of Googling and reading threads on here, I'd convinced myself it was a Orange Clockwork from early 90s.
However there were a couple of details I wasn't sure about, but had a punt on it anyway.
I was victorious in the auction but did have to part with the princely sum of £11.50 to get the goods (£18 delivered) !!!!
Once I got it in my mitts and was able to examine it further, I thought there's something a bit different about these drop outs as most Clockworks that I'd ever seen had mudguard eyelets.
The other thing that struck me was how light it is.
Since the frame had been resprayed a rather drab grey colour and had no stickers on it, it's identity was not immediately obvious.
So more investigation has led me to the conclusion that it is not a Clockwork after all.
No, it's only a bloody 1993 Orange Prestige !!!
17" made in March 1993 ( frame no. beginning A3030--- ).
It weighs 4lb now that most of the paint is stripped off it, is very clean inside the bottom bracket with only some very minor surface oxidation. No cracks or bent bits and straight as an arrow.
So this is going to build up into a solid riding bike.
It won't be a period accurate build, more of a mix of old and newer bits and will be Single Speed.
There's a pic below hinting at how I intend to build it up.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,539
Starting to like orange bikes more , I've just started a clock work ,,what colour are you going to have frame done in??

Re: orange prestige

Hi, it's going to be a orange and white fade paint job. I'm sure that the Orange gurus will tell me that a 93 should be purple to silver fade though !!!

Re:

Hi, the Birthday Bunny just delivered this mug.
Probably the most important component for the Prestige build.
I'll be able to enjoy beverages both hot and cold as I work. (Never been fussed about drinking tea, beer wine or whiskey out of a mug ) !!..

Attachments

• ORANGE MUG.JPG
    ORANGE MUG.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,407
Your bike feller ,,do it how pleases you,,,tho I'm sticking with satin black ,,,be interesting see how this turns out,,,

Re:

Satin black looks great.
A mate of mine has a satin black clockwork that he bought at pretty much the same time I bought my Salsa Ala Carte back when we were fearless nippers ! ( 91 I reckon).
Classic colour but I'm going with the orange /white fade at the moment.
But you never know I might change my mind ......

Re:

I've colour matched the decals and the orange paint that will be used to tone with the orange anodised bling bits, so hopefully it should all sit together nicely.
Single speed makes you strong...... :D

Back