Marin Bear Valley - to restore or not?

phantom photon

Dirt Disciple
My father (who's in his 70's) dropped off his mountain bike with me to sort out as it's been sitting in his shed for many, many years and everything is a bit gunked up! He bought it new in the early 90's and it is still 100% original right down to the Marin Rockstar tyres. Not sure whether just to strip down and give it a good service and leave it as or to go the full hog and do a nut and bolt resto from the ground up with new paint, etc?

Re:

Is your Father intending to use it or you ?

As far as I can see from the picture it looks in good condition, I would give it a damn good service.

Re:

Your dad has taste.

Strip it down, degrease, clean and polish, replace anything worn or broken, reassemble, and have fun! :D

Re:

Thanks for all the advice ;)

Both front and rear derailleurs were not working but have now stripped and cleaned them and they are back working like a dream. All the other bearings, etc are in perfect condition with no play evident anywhere. Will just give everything a good clean up and get it back on the road as is :)

Re: Re:

phantom photon":2mb4dott said:
Thanks for all the advice ;)

Both front and rear derailleurs were not working but have now stripped and cleaned them and they are back working like a dream. All the other bearings, etc are in perfect condition with no play evident anywhere. Will just give everything a good clean up and get it back on the road as is :)

Road?!
Trail instead!

Back