1996 GT LTS **Update 11/8**

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Project LTS has arrived! :D

Unwrapped a very big parcel last night (thanks haribo), and I am chuffed to bits. Whilst the decals are scuffed, the frame is in very good condition, with hardly a mark on it :cool:

So, to start of with, the decals will be removed and I'll give the frame a clean and polish. and Brasso the rear end.

The mechs are Deore LX and the cranks Deore XT with Middleburn rings. All apprear in usable nick, and just need degreasing.

Front end wise, we have 2006 Rock Shox J2 :? These will be going soon, and I have yet to decide what to slot in there. Judy or Sid may be an option.

The current bar and stem have been removed, and I have a silver GT straight bar ready to go in (thanks LongboardSi) plus a silver Trans-X 130mm reach stem on its way (thanks doogie).

Wheels, for the moment I'll be using my Deore LX/Mavic 221 off the RTS as they too are 1996 examples (my SPIN and Mavic 231 will now sit full time on the RTS).

So, I'm just left with choosing a saddle (Flite or Vetta :? ) some V's or cantis and some shifter/brake levers.

Some new pics will go up beginning of the week as its a lot nicer in the flesh, but for now here she is (photo courtessey of haribo).

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 8,963
Right, here are a couple of better photos :cool:

Started to clean up the Rock Shox J2's and they seem in good condition. I know I may get shot down for this. but as I'm aiming to get this rolling for Mountain Mayhem I my plug them in as a stop gap...... :oops:

The frame is going to be de-decaled tonight.

Hopefully, the stem will be with me by the end of the week.

Finally, just left to decide on V's and shifter/brake combo......oh, and a chain may help!

Attachments

• DSC00585.JPG
    DSC00585.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 8,890
  • DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 8,890
hi jon, although i never used this bike in anger, just a heads up that as far as i remember those j2's were about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

i also advise that you get that main pivot seen to before you get her all built up.

look forward to seeing how she turns out...

haribo":9re95c9f said:
as i remember those j2's were about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

i also advise that you get that main pivot seen to before you get her all built up.

I dont intend to keep the J2's, I want a pair of Judy/Sid/Quadra's to grace the front long term. The J2's would potentially just be to have her rolling again ;)

I gave her a shake when I unpacked and didnt notice a great deal of movement, but I do know play is commonplace in RTS and LTS's. However, the LBS will give her the once over and 'tweak' before she gets used in anger. They have tweaked my RTS pivots before and sorted a bit of play :D

Jon, actually if you've never used them those M569 shifters are very nice, and matching M600 V's in silver (basically the same as the red DX's you have on the RTS) will go very well, and are sooo 96/97!

development_cycle":3j9h5c9o said:
Jon, actually if you've never used them those M569 shifters are very nice, and matching M600 V's in silver (basically the same as the red DX's you have on the RTS) will go very well, and are sooo 96/97!

Unfortunately, the bottom is missing off the left hand shifter pod, otherwise I would have gladly used them :(

JeRkY has a pair of LX M563 shifter/brake levers, so I'm just waiting for him to confirm 7 or 8 speed. If 8, I'll have them off him. I use these, 8 speed, on the RTS and quite like them. Whilst they are canti levers, they do work well with my DX V's.

Build for me would be :

XTR M952 mechs , brakes and shifters, so Judys at the front , Kore or Syncros bars , stem , seat post , flite saddle , AC cranks , Box levers , hope hubs on mavic rims . :cool:

Back