Restoring the redness to IRC redwall tyres ... anyone? DONE

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
I have a few old IRC redwall tyres knocking around.

The treads are fine, but the sidewalls are looking a little scruffy (the thread of the carcass is showing through). Has anyone found a good way to restore the redness - magic marker, ink, blood from a gashed knee?

Attachments

• IRC faded.png
    IRC faded.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 966
Re: Restoring the redness to IRC redwall tyres ... anyone?

I would give some shoe polish a go.

i tried saving a similar condition panaracer. tried "gummi pflege" rubber care stuff, seemed to work at first, then still dried out pretty quickly. also tried smearing some clear silicone onto the sidewalls, also seemed to work somewhat, helped with the color quite a bit, but also rubbed off kinda easily. im afraid there isnt much hope for older, dried out tires.......

anyone else?

try smooth peanut butter, works impressively well on car plastics.

p.s. im not taking the pi55 either.

Re:

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming.

MADB: Shoe polish! I like the sound of that (why didn't I think of it? :facepalm: ).

poweredbypies: Peanut butter: Might try that too.

gm1230126: Have you seen the asking price of Mythos redwalls? $250.00 a pair on US Ebay. (Hang on ... is that your auction and you're trying to sell me a NOS pair for $250.00??? ;) ).

lowntegra: I tried silicon spray (applied with a cloth) and it does restore the colour temporarily.

xerxes: I don't spend my weekends polishing these things with cotton ear buds only to get them filthy again. :LOL:

Apparently there's a cleaning product called Lestoil that restores rubber (I've read about classic car restorers using it to revive rubber parts and trim) but it isn't available here in Aus. Anyone tried it?

Re:

I sprayed mine with clear laqcuer. Doesn't restore any colour of course but it makes the scuffs where the weave is showing less noticeable

Sean

Back