1990 Ritchey P-23 Team (and my P-Series whoring)

rumpfy

BoTY Winner
Outside of a Slingshot, the other bike I lusted after most as a kid was the Ritchey P-23 Team. Don Myrah grew up in my home town and raced for Ritchey at the time. Since I've been collecting, I've always had a Ritchey in my garage. Some of my first Ritchey builds were....not great. We all had to start somewhere. But I have now, what I consider to be the perfect P-23 Team.

Here's my journey.

I started with a 1995ish Ritchey ST (Softtail). Get in the wrong flow with this bike and it would start to pogo. And with steel's fatigue life (unlike ti)...it was only a matter of time before it would crack. Wrong XTR, Rolf wheels, colored tires...awful.
Ritcheyst.jpg

I moved to a P-22 that I had repainted undoing the original patina and putting incorrect decals on it. Again, wrong XTR, V-brakes, tires you'd never find on a Ritchey, Ringle wheelset. Rode great, but not right as a bike.
p20.jpg

From there I moved to a P-22 Team. Awesome gold to rootbeer brown fade and my first attempt at a drop bar bike. This bike was ultimately too big for me and the wrong platform for drop bars. It was also missing the correct matching fillet brazed fork. Very awkward looking bike.
p22dd1.jpg

I finally landed a proper P-23. Tig welded bike in black. Simple and understated. A decent, user friendly build with some inaccuracies. I enjoyed this bike a lot, but it wasn't a Team bike fillet brazed by Tom.
IMG_5572.jpg

From there I found an exceptionally clean P-23 Team. Beautiful bike in a steel blue, early serial number bike. But...it was one size bigger than I like and for me, a paint job that was partially too clean to ride and too understated for what kind of bike it was. Still some inaccuracies in the build with the too new saddle and MB-2 level Force stem, Chris King headset. All incorrect for the year of the bike.
1562f09e.jpg

For a short while, I had this P-23 Team. The right patina, the right paint...but missing the matching rigid fork and still one size too big for me.
5800835b.jpg

Re:

:shock:

Blimey, you have had a few then!
Where do you find them? I never can and I've been looking for some time :(
Some nice builds going on, except for the drop bar bike that is!

Mike

Re:

Now....my 1990 P-23 Team. 9P10 (19" P-Series, 10th one built). This bike checks all the boxes for me. Very early Team bike with the carry over Shimano dropouts from the Super Comp that was the predecessor to the P-Series. An unusual fade of which I've never seen another like it. Good patina with all original decals still in place. My size. Fully fillet brazed by Tom Ritchey including the matching fillet brazed fork and fillet brazed Force stem.

Here is the bike as it appeared on Craigslist. My buddy beat me to it.
6960606a.jpg

His rebuild was not correct for the bike with XC Pro and Logic, other incorrect pieces. It was at this point I bought the bike from him.
022c0cdd.jpg

And now it's complete. Fully period correct with Shimano M730/2/3 front to back. This bike predates Ritchey Logic parts (brakes/levers/headset/bb/cranks/saddle), though Prolite bars, Force stem/post, Vantage rims, and Megabite tires were available.
The only part of this bike that isn't correct are the brake pads (ok, and chain).

Build-
Frame: Ritchey P-23 Team Fillet Brazed
Fork: Ritchey Logic Fillet Brazed
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Comp
Hubs: Shimano XT M732, black, 32h
Quick Release: Shimano
Tires: Ritchey Megabite 2.1
Pedals: Shimano XT M737
Crank: Shimano XT M730
Chain: Sram
Rear Cogs: Shimano XT 11-28
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT UN70
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Shifters: Shimano XT M732
Handlebars: Ritchey Prolite, black
Grips: Ritchey True Grip
Stem: Ritchey Force Fillet Brazed
Headset: Shimano XT M735
Brake set: Shimano XT M732, black
Brake levers: Shimano XT M733
Saddle: Avocet Racing
Seat Post: Ritchey Force (Nitto)
Paint: Yellow/Orange fade
Size: 19"
Serial #: 9P10
Place of Origin: Redwood City, Ca.

IMG_5316_zps1267c007.jpg

IMG_5323_zps451cd24c.jpg

IMG_5325_zps41d67183.jpg

IMG_5327_zpsa86b71fd.jpg

IMG_5329_zpsd3f21d66.jpg

Even a period correct water bottle.
IMG_5330_zps6ca0d6b2.jpg

IMG_5331_zps307ed05d.jpg

IMG_5332_zps465f6574.jpg

IMG_5341_zps8fd59898.jpg

14974577958_424be5e51c_h.jpg

14974571447_4561e26cee_h.jpg

15054101237_f11a4ce72f_h.jpg

Re:

Stunning !

You say that's a 19"? Looks like a short head tube for the frame size if it is.

Mike

Re:

Nice work - that's quite a journey you've been on!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3d5vs10x said:
Stunning !

You say that's a 19"? Looks like a short head tube for the frame size if it is.

Mike

Ritchey measures Center to Top to get the 19". When you get to the 20", the HT gets longer.

But you're right, its super short. Possibly the shortest HT bike I've got.

Re:

Looks even nicer now that I've seen it on a big laptop screen :cool:

Do you happen to know when Ritchey went from 1" to 1 1/8" headtubes ?

Mike

Re:

The scenery is pretty captivating too :)

Back