1985 Velocitech Mountain Machine

theproscloset

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The '80s brought its fair share of off the wall innovations... this Velocitech Mountain Machine is definitely one of the most unusual designs you will find. The bike was made in Englewood Colorado from 4130 cro-moly tubing by Velocitech. The front wheel is a 24" and the rear is a 20" but the bottom bracket is at normal height. Notice the chain roller to keep "tension" on the chain.

We have seen a couple different versions of the Mountain Machine out there.... each one is slightly different.

This bike was a radical departure in design and engineering. It offered a lower center of gravity, a wheel base longer than any competitors and a 50-50 weight distribution. This combination was suppose to be more stable and offer a better handling experience. I can say from taking this for a real trail ride that it is terrifying.

Because of the even weight distribution, Mountain Machine claimed that the front wheel would maintain surface contact on steep climbs.
Stem: SR BMX Style
Headset: Shimano 600
Grips: Turbo BMX Grip
Saddle: Vetta
Seatpost: SR Laparde
Brakes: Shimano 600
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M700
Cranks: Takagi Touring GS 170mm
Chainrings: Takagi XT 46 / 36 / 26
Pedals: SR SP100-AL
Chain: Sedis 6 Speed
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo
Front Derailleur: Suntour Mountech
Shifters: Shimano SL-M700
Front Rim: Araya Gold 24 x 1.75
Rear Rim: Araya Gold 20 x 1.75
Tires: Carlisle Agressor R/A

10370447_708377685885315_5137205571859822344_n.jpg

13.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

MountainMachineC3.jpg

MountainMachineB3.jpg

MountainMachineB2.jpg

13.jpg

Re:

Both ridiculous and awesome! I've no idea why but for some reason it makes me think of this....

Re:

Well I think I looks bloody awful, like some sort of BMX/recumbent/ATB mash up. Would I have one? Yes without a second thought, its just so cool. :cool:

Just seen the Pinkbike article, keep them coming, I've loved reading your other ones over the past few months.

Back