1988 Fisher Mt Tam

Joe Steel

Retro Newbie
Or, as I like to call it, the Dirt Drop Commando Mt Tam :D

I really wanted to share this with you:

This project started with a "well loved" frame set that was rescued from the damp Pacific Northwestern US.
attachment_zps724f7f8b.jpeg

Gauging by the nicks and chips, it appeared to have previously enjoyed a full life of rewarding service
attachment-1_zps8d7bd3ed.jpeg

attachment-3_zpsab9a73e0.jpeg

When it landed in my hands, the original finish had already been stripped away, exposing the beautiful hand-worked fillet brazing of Tom Teesdale
seattube_bare_zps607180d5.jpeg

fork_bare_zpsd4dbbb68.jpeg

bb_Bare_zps5ff7f919.jpeg

Over the winter of 2013 - 2014, I set out to build my adventure bike. Something I had been scheming about for years. A vintage fillet-brazed camouflage dirt drop "Commando".

IMG_8725_zps90e287ad.jpg

IMG_8724_zpsab78a089.jpg

IMG_8734_zps5e5ec823.jpg

I enjoyed the process so much, I was really sad when it all came together. Although I was really pleased with the end result.
IMG_3320_zps7392306d.jpg

If you have the time or interest, here's a blog post on the build process:
http://crankbased.blogspot.com/2014/03/ ... t-tam.html

If you made it this far down my very first and loooong RBUK post.... Thank you! :D

Re:

Fantastic ! :cool:

I'd like to know how you did the paintwork

Mike

Re:

I love that. Great work. I look forward to reading your blog when I get off the phone and into the laptop.

Super cool--the camo idea is great as is drop bar'ing it. I really miss my Mt Tam. Great riding bikes and under valued, RIP to TET.

I didn't click through to the other build blog to see if you mentioned it, but how was the process with Clockwork for the stem? I've been curious about them.

Re:

Thanks for the positive comments.

The paint was done by Rick at D&D. He's been painting bikes for decades. In fact, he painted the original Ritchey Commandos. I thought it was quite a bonus to have him local.

The ride is classic fillet brazed prestige. Well grounded, solid and smooth. (Although I do have video of me crashing on it :) I blame that on the tires.

I ended up with the stem in a trade with someone else so I didn't work directly with Joel to have it made. However, I have emailed Joel several times over the past two years for different things & I've found him very responsive. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

Back