My Clockwork Project From Wreck To......

Rob H

Retro Guru
I bought this frame a few months back with big ambitions for it, big thanks to Gill_M for collecting it for me, whilst my Prestige is a light fast and somewhat bling XC bike, I wanted the Clockwork to be a real take on the work mountain bike sporting some very trick modifications and blending modern technology with old school styling. That was until I moved house two months back and my commute to work changed drastically, now faced with bus stop braking ruts, breaking up roads, half awake commuters, dreaded cobble stones, oh and it's three times the distance, so commuting on the old On-One Pomp is no longer fun. However riding the Prestige (see sig) to work is a pleasure in comparison and after swapping the Smoke & Dart combo for some semi slick tyres of the misses' hack bike it's as quick as the Pomp. Only down side is after spending too much money on paint, chrome and NOS parts I'm loathed to trash the Prestige by commuting on it through the British winter. So after a bit of a rethink I've put the grand plans for the clockwork on hold and I've decided to build it up as a budget commuter for now, maybe one day it'll become the all conquering bike I've got in my head.

Anyway here's some photos:

Now that is a colour scheme I could fall in love with. Anybody have a 15"er they'd like to part with? :p

Been doing a bit of tinkering:

Fitting the forks and headset with a gurt big spanner

A pair of good old RS7 cranks, the cranks were a bargain off a trials bike, they are a bit scuffed up but nothing I can't sort out.

Deore v-brakes nothing fancy but they work

And for sheer comedy I fitted an old set of drops, they won't be staying

Re:

Good commuting bike, I used to ride my clockwork come rain or shine, 50 mile round trips, very reliable and comfortable, so it will be ideal! Plus your Orange prestige is far too nice to be doing winter commutes :cool: !

Re:

Well a few bits turned up in the post this week:

Before I started fitting the "new" parts I ran a tap through all the bolt holes and fitted some nice shinny stainless bolts, little tip you can buy big bags of bolts from Tool Station for a few quid.

I'll be the first to say that the stem look hideous on there but it was knocking around in my bits box so it'll do until I can find something better.

I think the X-Lite bars are a bit better:

Nice new Deore brake levers:

For some reason the "little" 26" wheels look massive on the old frame

Getting there:

Just need to find so shifters and it'll be ready to ride.

sparkiegaz":cc5c8mis said:
Now that's a big spanner ,,,,,prob cost more than the bike ,,,,,

I originally bought it for adjusting the ride height on a classic mini, just coincidence that it's the same weird imperial size as 1" threaded headsets.

Back