My GT Avalanche LE -96

xam1

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I really shouldn't get no more bikes but couldn't help it cause it was really cheap. So now I'm waiting for this GT arrive. It's my 6th so I guess I'm a kind of a buyer type, not a seller... :) I'll have to start thinking what to do with it, maybe daily commuter. Here's pic from the PO:

Opinions?

Re:

Cool bike I like it :)

I have the same problem when it comes to buying GTs. However, I sell one to make room for another so it's basically justified :LOL:

Sean

Nice bike. What is the difference between the Avalanche and the Pantera of this era? Is it the same frame with different components?

Re:

So update here, bike has arrived!

It seems to be complete and in ridable condition but very dirty and dusty. Also the frame is quite oxidated and pitted. The Manitou SX fork seems to be in nice working condition.

Mavic 217 Sunset front wheel.

Mavic 519 black rear wheel. Hubs are XT 738/9. I tried a little polishing in seatstay with Autosol and it's started to clean up. Huge amount of work with whole frame though!

It has Cook Bros Racing cranks and Middleburn chainrings. (pink,black,green)

Unfortunately the cranks has cracked, but I think they can be fixed easily with Tig.

Cheers!

And thanks for your comments!

Re:

Little update here. Stripped the frame for cleaning and polishing.

I fully serviced and cleaned the fork also. The internals were in good condition. It came up really nice!

Btw, the fork is stamped year-98 so probably -99 model.

Broken left crank is also repaired now, but I forgot to take a picture.

Cheers!

Re:

Left cranks crack were cutted open and Tig-welded, finally I filed it back to shape. Needs still more polishing.

Next problem is that the right side crank is also broken. I have a topic in wanted-section for one crank. If there's no luck, the spider have to be welded to that crank-arm permanently, which isn't a problem though.

I'm keen to see how you go. I am restoring a 96 Zaskar, however I also have a GT Avalanche LE with my father in Brisbane that should be completely shop spec, which I will get in another month or so. Keen to compare notes at this time.

Re:

Hi, I've also followed your Zaskar project as these bikes are cousins anyway ;) I have done some tinkering with Avalanche, mostly cleaned old usable parts. I've thinked that whether I go with those blue Manitous or orange Bomber Z1's cause then I could go with the matching orange RaceFace turbine crankset...hmm...cranks could be polished though. I first tried to polish the frame but it's far too oxidated and pitted so it does need complete sanding first. So yesterday I started sanding it, first have to go grade 400 the whole frame, then 600,800,1000/1200. After that the surface is very smooth and can be polished. Can't say by your pics but I hope that your frame is in better shape than mine and polishes up without sanding. I sanded yesterday for 5 hours and still lot to do left! However it polished very easily after sanding when I tried at a small area. Forget to take pics though. Btw, I recommend you to go with Autoglym Metal Polish, it's better for aluminium polish than Autosol paste. Happy to see how your projects proceed! Cheers!

Back