Hubs: Shimano LX
Tyres: Tioga Psycho-K

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Kona

Weight: 21lb

DSC00954.jpg

kase1983":315c1grs said:
dude i want them forks! :(

If you can find me some black 410mm A2C ones with a way long steerer, i'll swap :D

Could even be tempted to put suspension forks on her... :shock:

The original fork was black but plain-gauge, which explains why it got swapped out I guess. I don't think any model was sold with tb P2s in 98, so obviously there aren't many around.

Even with pg fork, I remember the 98 Lava Dome winning a multi-bike test of low-medium pricers in Total Bike that year. Needless to say, the P2s were rated way ahead of the Indys etc that many competitors used. But also the frame was right on the money. Seem to recall a KHS coming second, but may be wrong. Rockhoppers, Treks etc etc couldn't hold a candle to a Lava Dome, obviously.

I think you have done a grand job- looks a fast wee machine, I'm very tempted to go one ring up front too, looks clean and should save a bit of weight? Like the stem and bar combo (are you alowed to say that here?), at first the green and red seemed a bit mad but now starting to get it, glad to see the dx levers actually on a bike :oops:

clockworkgazz":27b3ipbr said:
I think you have done a grand job- looks a fast wee machine, I'm very tempted to go one ring up front too, looks clean and should save a bit of weight? Like the stem and bar combo (are you alowed to say that here?), at first the green and red seemed a bit mad but now starting to get it, glad to see the dx levers actually on a bike :oops:

Unfortunately the stem was a bit too long as the top-tube on a 20" frame is so long. Also, i changed tyres and those BMX brakes didn't have enough mud clearence so i've fitted shimano V's :LOL:

But the DX levers have stayed ;)

Nice looking build! 98 last good year of the steel Konas imo. After that they started going backwards, but 97-98 were the best, most evolved of the lot (somebody will probably be on to tell me I'm wrong for reasons x, y and z, but that's what I've always felt).

Geoff":6dpltf37 said:
Nice looking build! 98 last good year of the steel Konas imo. After that they started going backwards, but 97-98 were the best, most evolved of the lot (somebody will probably be on to tell me I'm wrong for reasons x, y and z, but that's what I've always felt).

I sort of agree, the Hawaiian decals do fit in with the brand far better than any previous styles, but i still prefer the earlier, simpler types. But then the paint got better between 95 - 98.

Also the triple-top tube cabling kinda ruins the line of the frame IMO. They looked neater when they had canti's and under BB gear cables.

Ho Hum, i guess my ideal Kona doesn't really exist. But i got pretty close with my 1992 Lava Dome ;)

EDIT: Oh, excusing a Stars & Bars HOT, i'll take one of those in a 19" and won't even slightly grumble :D

I was thinking more of the frames themselves rather than the paint and decals, agree with you about the top routed cables spoiling the lines though. Regarding the decals, my favourite is always from 93-98, but the actual favourite year changes daily depending on my mood.

Latest posts

Back